Lowering springs

ArosaJosh

Hi,

Joined today so this is my first post so I'm sorry in advance if I've done anything wrong!

I've just past my test and got my first for which is a 2003 seat arosa 1.0s, it's already been lowered, 60mm at the rear but where I live these so many nasty speed bumps and it literally scrapes, so I bought some 40mm springs for a Lupo 1.0 1998-2004 as I've been told their parts are interchangeable, but when I went to fit them, they're a lot thinner than the current ones, so I was just wondering if that's okay and I should use them, or I need to buy some specifically for my Arosa 1.0s?

Josh

What he said, 60mm isn't very low but if they are huge speedbumps then possibly. If the springs fit a lupo they should fit your arosa

^^what he said.

I think you must be taking speed bumps wrong tbh. If the speed bump is mental big then take it at as big a sideways angle as possible and you'll get over no bother. Either that or stick one wheel on each speed bump and never either side. At the height mine is at I can get over every speed bump (I've never come across one I couldn't get over) so you should be ok at 60mm

Just get standard springs if you're happy to run with no lows.

Because you've just passed I'd imagine it would help with the cost of insurance being standard also. :yes:

Thanks for all the replies!

I go over them literally so slow that I nearly stop, but I have been going over with one wheel each side of one bump, so that might be the problem!

Also, because I've bought the new 40mm springs already and it makes my insurance cheaper than 60mm, I want to fit them, it's just the fact they're a lot thinner than the current ones that's making me wary of fitting them, but if what mini_ash is saying is right then I guess I'll just give them a go on Saturday!

That's where your going wrong you don't drive over them you only put one side on and the other side next to the kurb unless its the long speed bumps what use all the road you drive over at a angle so befor you go over aim for on comeing then comeing off aim for your lane when I'm on my computer I will do some google searching and find pictures to help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDhylN-63FY

Edited by Mini_ash

Hi, thanks again for all the help! I'm alright with the speed bumps now haha! But I tried to fit the 40mm springs again today and they just seem much too thin, especially compared to the springs that are currently in. I've took some pictures and was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion!

image_zps8b127b2c.jpg

image_zps3fc68174.jpg

They are also a lot thinner than the 'strut hat' I think it's called which means they'd have space to move around I guess?

I feel like the company that sold me them sent the wrong springs but they're insisting that they didn't, It was 'lo suspension'?

Cheers

Josh

Edited by ArosaJosh

The red set are 100% rear springs for a lupo, however the blue set certainly don't look like 60mm springs to me. They seem like a spring from a coilover set aka JOMs or the like (hence the blue) which will be much lower than what you're trying to put on hence the scrapes.

As far as not fitting in the strut they will, there should be a cup to seat the spring to the top of the chassis and then it should sit comfortably on the rear beam and be very secure once the beam is lifted back into place

Note the differences in spring thickness and length;

Coilovers

http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/images/741071.jpg

Lowering spring kit
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeMNlR94rITaUYDx0k0tkBVx8YXV6g0uKNp2Ky9ZHcKrbyZZQplQ

Hi, thanks for the welcome! It's black and here are some pictures

image_zpsbc2911a3.jpg

image_zps15e05c17.jpg

After looking at the pictures in your build thread I'm pretty certain you've got rear springs from a coilover on without the adjusters in, how do you know it was already lowered '60mm' is it on standard dampners on the rear? what colour are they?