roof closure issue

simonineaston

Hi Folks,

I thought I was lucky when I found a tdi Lupo with the full length sunroof last winter, but maybe I'm about to change my mind... With the roof open, it started to rain (for wot seems like the 50th time) today and I went to close the roof. 2 inches from fully closed an ominous clicking started up from the off side front of the roof, and it wouldn't close properly. I took my finger off the close button PDQ, and when I got home, I had to spend an hour clearing out the the garage so I could put the car in it for the first time in ages!

Anyone recognise the clicking problem and know how to fix it?

PS my last car - a Smart cabrio - had a couple of metal cranks you could use to close the roof when the wires gave up. Anything like that for the Open AIr system?

Edited by simonineaston
  • Like 6

Exciting News! After a glass of wine, I summoned up enough courage to give the close button a tentative push and I have now revised my estimate of the origin of the clicks - I now reckon the clicks as well as a modest amount of clicky-type vibration, comes from the void above the interior light...

That's where the motor is. Sounds like something's jammed in the tracks and is stopping the roof from closing. I had an issue on my sport where the roof would close so far then open again. There was a plastic running above one of the winders has slipped and was jamming, moved this out of the way and the roof closed again. It sounds like the open air as a slightly different winder mech, but could be something jammed in.

• 4 months later...

Revisting the Open Air issue now that the autumn rain reminds me the roof is not quite closed... I've tracked down a Bristol-based (like me) company called Bristol Sunroof Centre. Has anyone any experience with these guys?

They get one or two thumbs-up from online reviews, so I'll probably ask them to sort out my Open Air sometime soon, and I'll let you know.