High idle and randomly cutting out - 1.4 16v sport

It's only just started having a high idle and cuts out when slowing down! Some days it's okay and some its quite bad! When stopped it idles at 1.5k then drops to 1k after a few seconds! Iv cleaned all the throttle body out and checked all the sensors and wiring plugged it into a vag com and its coming up '00282 Throttle position actuator' but don't know why! And can't reset the throttle position as it isn't me :@ iv had a decat so thinking maybe change the lambda! Any ideas? Thanks

• Like 3

Sounds like it could be the throttle position sensor, at least from the diagnostics. I had a hunting problem before and it was fixed by thoroughly cleaning the EGR valve, throttle body and eventually changing the lambda sensor (all three were related though). However, I had them change the throttle position sensor as well because it was also having problems.

Could be worth a shot. Bit of a pricey repair though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LUPO-THROTTLE-POSITION-SENSOR-PART-NUMBER-0280752017-021907475D-/171035243554?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d27eb422

• Like 1

Sounds like it could be the throttle position sensor, at least from the diagnostics. I had a hunting problem before and it was fixed by thoroughly cleaning the EGR valve, throttle body and eventually changing the lambda sensor (all three were related though). However, I had them change the throttle position sensor as well because it was also having problems.

Could be worth a shot. Bit of a pricey repair though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LUPO-THROTTLE-POSITION-SENSOR-PART-NUMBER-0280752017-021907475D-/171035243554?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d27eb422

It's a cable not a fly by wire, so I thought it won't have a position sensor.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone shead some more light on this for me? When driving and engine is hot the revs are sticking at 4k sounds like its hitting the limiter. Going to try a new lambda sensor. Any one have any Ida's? Thanks

It will be position sensor/ actuator, the cable throttle bodys do have this, mines been broke for years now.
Lucky for us we have the cable still and the car will still work. Newer, fly by wire models really struggle when this goes.
To stop it reving quite so high you can adjust the cable. Very simple take airbox of and slide the metal clip off and move it a slot to the left ( will loosing cable about 1mm, start car and see if its any better if its still too high try another slot along.
This isn't a fix for the problem but i'm happy with it.

While your there may aswell clean the throttle body which will help also.

Thanks mate, I'm gonna have a go at this today, already cleaned the throttle out but ill do it again. Guessing the fix is just to replace the sensor then? Have you got the partner number? Iv got 2000 model so think its an early sport engine. Cheers

It's a cable not a fly by wire, so I thought it won't have a position sensor.

You'll have a position sensor on the throttle body itself, you can adjust it aswell by loosening the bolts and rotating it :P my advise is not too tho! All modern engines will need a TPS (throttle position sensor) for the fuelling map. So if your TPS is gone then I'm amazed that the engine still runs :P