Yet Another Speakers and RMS Question

My mates have managed to tear my passenger side stock door speaker and I can't handle the buzzing basslines any more.

I thought I'd take the opportunity to put some better speakers in, without upgrading my head unit from the one that's currently installed nor installing an amp.

The Sony head unit has an RMS of 17W x 4 channels.

Not fully understanding the whole RMS front is stopping me going ahead and buying a set.

In terms of some Focal RMS's, for example, we have:

165A1: 60W RMS

IS165: 70W RMS

PS165: 80W RMS

What would installing any of these result in, with my head unit's RMS being 17W?

Would it work at all? Would I have to crank up the volume to hear anything? How does such a difference between head unit RMS and speaker RMS affect sound and output?

Any help and useful explanations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

James

• Like 7

You could run any of those speakers but you're really not getting the most out of them. It won't damage the speakers if you underpower them but you'll find that you can't really crank them up without them distorting. If they start to distort you run the risk of pushing the amplifier (the head unit in this case) into clipping. Once you've done that the voice coils will start to overheat and is generally sh*t for the speakers.

So basically, you could get those speakers but it would be a waste of time and money unless you buy a dedicated amplifier to run them at the correct wattage. If you do buy them, don't be a fanny and crank them into distortion cos the chances are they'll get ****ed.

As long as you don't crank them to achieve a decent spl then you'll be fine. Keep the gain down (or atleast below they start to distort) and you won't have any issues so you could buy speakers in the short term, run them, and then once you have money for an amp you could run them at their full potential?

You could run any of those speakers but you're really not getting the most out of them. It won't damage the speakers if you underpower them but you'll find that you can't really crank them up without them distorting. If they start to distort you run the risk of pushing the amplifier (the head unit in this case) into clipping. Once you've done that the voice coils will start to overheat and is generally sh*t for the speakers.

So basically, you could get those speakers but it would be a waste of time and money unless you buy a dedicated amplifier to run them at the correct wattage. If you do buy them, don't be a fanny and crank them into distortion cos the chances are they'll get ****ed.

It's a well known fact that volume isn't what blows speakers. It's frequencies. As you say, if you push your head unit too much to the point that it begins to clip, the volume will not blow them, but the extraneous frequencies from the head unit.

Personally, I suggest changing both. Get a better head unit with a higher output (7W is mickey mouse) and get a better set of speakers to go with it.

Winner!

Edit: You don't necessarily need an amp to get good sound ;) Just my 2p :)

Edited by Skezza

• 3 weeks later...