Spraying my own wheels

Samanferr10

I always look up to guys (inc girls) on here who does their own jobs, i always wish i could do it but never have the confidence to try..

Today i did :)

I bought a set of what i am told to be mk2 scirocco wheels, "original G60's" some say, or similar to new G60's but with circles instead of D shape holes.

2 were still in silver a little rusty, and 2 painted black.

IMG_2303_zps570acee2.jpg

IMG_2304_zpsbcc51d43.jpg

I sanded them down by hand not really to get the paint off but just to scrub them hoping for more hold for the primer to stick to and to get rid of any rust.

IMG_2307_zps6173d125.jpg

IMG_2308_zps469d2135.jpg

I then sprayed them with primer, got around 3 coats on each rim with a 500ml can

IMG_2309_zpsdb67bb6f.jpg

IMG_2311_zpsbd4b86cc.jpg

I managed to get 2 coats of my chosen colour but that was all for today but when i finish them off tomorrow ill upload those pics and the finished look..

I must say i am pretty proud of how they turned out they look like they are coming along nicely, and to anyone who thinks it may be too difficult if i can do it anyone can.

• Like 6

so after all of this i said i got a couple of coats of my chosen colour on. I left them inside to dry for a few days.

IMG_2344_zps0c7c2bf6.jpg

IMG_2345_zpsd22ce094.jpg

IMG_2346_zps37a10be9.jpg

And tonight topped it up with the lacquer. I got about 2 good coats on each.

IMG_2352_zps34453627.jpg

IMG_2350_zps7a2b7001.jpg

And here they are :)

Untitled546_zpsce62de2d.png

Now i just cant wait to get them on !!!

good work ! i expect you feel really pleased with your efforts ? and rightly so. . . .

Very pleased and I'd do it again, this was the first time I've ever sprayed anything and they look great.. I mean close up not perfect but good enough for what I paid for the paint compared to paying someone else.

Ill be sure to follow up with a pic when they are on

• 2 weeks later...

looking good. . . what next spray girl ???

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have anything to spray I'm afraid :/ lol I did remove my side strips but for the second time in 2 month of owning this car it's having gearbox problems :(

Edited by Samanferr10

hey Samanferr. . . .bummer on the gearbox, is it not engaging, difficult gearchage, popping out of gear ?? someone on the site might be able to help you, could it be the clutch and the known pedal box problem ???

On the side strips, i may be joining you on this job, both passenger and drivers side are starting to come away and i always catch themwhen cleaning the car. . . good luck with the job, i have seen varying degree's of success at removing these, i guess the thing is to take your time. . . but again there is a thread or 'how to on her' . . . good luck

I think it's the synchros themselves yeah jumps out of 5th and jumps back and forth in 4th.. Had a new clutch with gearbox change so shouldn't be that and my pedal box doesn't look like there's any signs of that..

It was easy enough I've done it before auto glym tar and glue remover works a treat

looks good. . . job for me shortly, after a few minor spray bits here and there

Danyutz yeah 14" original g60's or passat winters no one can ever find the answer lol

Silver! And Yeah the arguments I've started over round holes and D shape holes being original or just winters but i dont care lol but I actually took them off an old scirocco :)

Original G60s have round holes. When they were discontinued, there was a redirect put on the VW catalogue which points to Passat winters.

Like the GTI alloy bonnet; they've stopped manufacturing it, but the catalogue still lists it, but in reality it's a redirect to a standard Lupo bonnet.