My GTI (tehe)

H3NRY

• 1 month later...

Haven't taken any pictures of anything i've done but since the last update it's had a suspension/steering refresh...

Has a wheel bearing replaced as it was noisy when turning left.

New wishbones

Superpro polybushings in the wishbones

new drop links

new ball joints

'fast road' geometry setup

I've also got a solid front engine mount on the way. Should be a hoot to drive. The difference in turns is marked with the new bushings.

Still need to trip up to stealth and get it set up like i was going to two days after my head gasket went.

I'm on the hunt for a four branch manifold if anyone knows of any for sale?

Other than that it's doing the 300 miles to uni and back every week no issues apart from a loose PAS belt and intermittent flashing coolant warning light (electrical issue)

Great photos. The GTi looks in fab condition. One of the bigger killers of these cars is rust but your one looks timeless. Well done

• 1 month later...

Just to keep this updated.

I blew up the bottom end. Spun number 4 big end and ruined the crank. Currently Roy at AutoBarn is assembling a 2L 9A engine and putting that in with my KR head.

ARP con-rod bolts

All new bearings

Piston rings

Gaskets & seals

Head skimmed

Head ported and gas flowed

3 angle seats

30 degree back-cut valves

Valve guides

Stem seals

WUR mod

Metering head shimmed

Rolling road tune at CFM Engineering

Hoping to get somewhere between 170 and 180bhp and 150 lb/ft

Should have gone high compression forged internals while it was all out but i never intended on going mad with the engine. It just broke so was a good excuse.

Edited by H3NRY

Probably gonna get bashed for saying this, but I preferred the Sebring alloys, but does look good on those. Nice to see Tornado red instead of a Tornado Pink!!

• 3 months later...

Car has been getting filthy over the winter but have a little news.

Made 152bhp on a local dyno that I used to check if the motor was actually running "dangerously lean" as I was told by an engineering firm mentioned earlier in this thread - i've discovered that was with a cracked downpipe, exhaust that blew like a dyson, buggered driveshafts and without being tuned any more than standard marks.

I changed the driveshafts for rebuilt items, had the Jetex 2-box system and stainless manifold fitted and the car definitely felt better.

I've completed the run-in period on the new motor so I stopped at Stealth Racing on the way back from manchester and Vince and the guys did a full fuelling and timing setup on their dyno with the following results:

175bhp @ 6591rpm and 148ft/lb @ 5584rpm (not bad for an engine that's running "dangerously lean" huh?)

I realise these are just numbers but it's nearly the 180bhp figure I'm aiming for and at least shows me what i've chosen to do is working.

Since then i've been thinking about cams for more power - but also ordered some suspension upgrades.

ST front and rear ARBs 22/25mm front/rear

Powerflex 'black' rear beam mounting bushes.

Camber adjustable, spherical bearing top mounts (will be mounted to add castor, not camber)

Hopefully the steering response at the front will be much sharper, and the stiffer rear end will be more active in reducing understeer. Dampening settings will be adjusted to suit once its all fitted and tested.

Been very tempted to go all fixed bucket seats and stuff but i like the idea of a B-road weapon that has show car-ish looks.