1.4s automatic - loss of power when parking?

Hello!

I have recently purchased a 2000 Lupo 1.4s auto for my wife. We are really pleased with the car and even though we have only had it a couple of weeks, feel it's getting its own character.

Anyway, the reason i am posting is because there seems to be a slight engine/electrical issue.

Problem:

When parking (so at very low speed) and engaging the steering wheel from lock to lock the engine looses power. The engine drops down in power almost to the point of stalling (it has actually stalled a few times in these circumstances).

The car has a full service history and i have just replaced the oil and oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body out. The car runs fine and pulls well.

I believe the power steering is electric and draws power from the engine but is not run from any pulleys off the side of the engine as per older cars but i may have this wrong. My inclination is that there must be an electrical switch not working correctly as the problem happens in either forward or reverse at very low speeds?

Any ideas or if anyone else has had this problem i would be really interested to hear about.

Many thanks.

pretty sure its hydraulic PAS. anyway, the pump runs of the same belt as the alternator so if the pumps go some resistance its gunna slow down the alternator and put pressure on the driving pulley (crank pulley) potentially causing engine revs to drop.

Thanks, Scotty_82 and James827.

Sonds like it is powered off the engine / alternator.

I guess it could be either the alternator or the belts need tightening? Any way of checking this? I will check my battery as well.

Hopefully not a big bill on the way!

Ed

Any decent motor factors etc should test it for you if you don't own a multi meter

So does the engine cut out when in full lock? Because mine does that (only when cold it seems). If i full lock (though only to the left) then the engine seems to stall. I have no other problems with it and the old dear who gave it to me said she'd had the problem as long as she could remember ...