Clayton's Tornado Red GTI..

CLAYTONJONES

On 10/31/2017 at 7:23 AM, CLAYTONJONES said:

Just a little update, new seats are in. They are Recaro Pole Positions?? Best seats i have ever sat in.

Jac12qd.jpg

78QxSfm.jpg

58jaEPz.jpg

CEdINbK.jpg

T4vHwCy.jpg

GavKga4.jpg

Hi, I know that this is an old thread, but I'm after some of these wheels and came across the pics of yours. 

Just wondered what size, width and offset the ones on your lupo are?

Thanks 👌🏼 

Took a few interior pictures with a new lens I’m trying on my Nikon DSLR, quite pleased with how they look. Door cards are getting trimmed in black Alcantara soon with black stitching to keep things subtle as the standard material is horrible. 

B9-E8-CD51-A352-446-C-BC26-43773529535-E
8867-BC39-1-E34-4-BC9-929-E-5-D03787-AF7
9-D62-CD27-96-FB-43-BA-97-D3-E83456821-B
97-FB27-C9-71-E4-4-DE0-9-FD6-3164-E16871

I’ve also just had a small silencer put back in the exhaust as it’s a little too loud for me these days (showing my age) lol. It sounds much better now, not loads quieter but just right and it’s lost the drone from inside of the car. 

7538-F043-A953-49-F1-BF53-9-A82-DCA2-B45

Whilst at the Nürburgring, my MAP sensor decided to fail, luckily on the last day. It happened the year before too, I spoke to a friend and he said it’s likely because these engines breathe quite heavily, especially once tuned, that the MAP sensor could but getting clogged up with oil. So I thought I’d eliminate the problem completely and install a neat little catch can setup.

5-FA7-D0-B8-C264-44-B2-A47-B-EF58482-DF2

Changed out the brake pads yesterday too, Nürburgring and Cadwell finished the old ones off. Stuck to what I know and what work wells, Ferodo DS1.11, at only £105 it’s a bargain too.

6-C40-CFC4-EB4-A-4-E84-8-C62-ADC21630-FF

The car got a well deserved oil change today, I tend to do them every 4k but this time it was at 3 after the weekend it just had! Recently purchased the Sealey oil funnel, my god I wish I bought sooner. Made life so easy lol. The ECS magnetic sump plug had picked something up, not sure what it was but it’s doing the job.

1970-CCCF-F98-D-4051-9619-AD1-FC36558-B9
C4-C91-B00-F45-F-4570-B259-BFEAF9390-B89
015-E4-A53-E9-A1-49-E1-BF26-A1946-D160-D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Clayton, did you get uprated valve springs when you had your cams done? If so where did you source them and what type? Noticed your rev limit is now higher than stock and wondered if it was just the remap that got you there and whether you had any supporting mods? How many hours did you book at ChipWizards total? Cheers bud. 

22 minutes ago, cpcpeter said:

Hey Clayton, did you get uprated valve springs when you had your cams done? If so where did you source them and what type? Noticed your rev limit is now higher than stock and wondered if it was just the remap that got you there and whether you had any supporting mods? How many hours did you book at ChipWizards total? Cheers bud. 

Hi mate, no I still have standard valve springs, more than capable for 160-170bhp I have found👍🏼 It was the remap that raised the rev limiter.

He didn’t use the current system at the time when I booked mine, it took him a solid 8 hours on mine but I think that was because he hadn’t done one for so long!

• 3 weeks later...

Recently done a trackday at Donnington, my first time there and what a track it is, not 100% suited to the Lupo but Craner Curves is so much fun! Completed 64 laps in the day, the car was faultless and surprised so many people.

7604-E783-8620-4-ECF-AF16-A09-A2-AEA8640
76256-CEE-CD69-42-FF-9422-7-A0-D7-B36-A5
94-AB45-B4-DAB7-442-B-AA31-97-E16741972-
9-B897640-1707-4-D43-90-C3-2531-E26-D20-
FF0-A433-F-0-F00-42-C0-81-B0-FC6-B7531-B

I’ve just finished a well over due paint correction on the car too, it’s been around 2.5-3 years since I’ve touched the car with a polisher. I used Sonax perfect finish and a Yellow Rupes pad. I decided to put a ceramic coating on the car, Carbon Collective Oracle, the slickness and gloss it has left behind is incredible and should be good for 2-3 years. I’ll leave some differences down below :)

6-FDE8-DE4-4-C48-4-AF3-848-E-572594588-C
05-FB05-EE-E0-F0-4-AEF-A069-E4-BE8-B9342
86-C99535-4-B9-A-4-C7-F-8179-4908-E56-B9
00-D0-C50-B-5966-4-D6-E-97-F7-8-E7-AFEE9
457-A8-F3-E-E5-C6-49-F0-A88-E-E671-D816-
F9-A351-B2-FF03-4-CD6-965-C-499-BFFDB25-
E59-D67-E2-D80-B-4109-87-B4-EE6-A4817-E3
BF7-C75-B3-EB11-4-C40-A4-DA-FBAD68-DE339
8-BCC4-F74-0946-4137-90-F6-9-DCFE2540-C3
90-C4-A4-B6-4930-47-BE-B8-E6-09-A62388-F
B2-C106-C3-7-CF8-4937-95-A1-A0-B47662499

Edited by CLAYTONJONES
  • Like 2

Just been having a little read through this thread and truly has got to be one of my favourite current builds out there! great work and some real inspiration to get me moving with things on mine again!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well, after seeing Clayton’s Coolerworx I finally got round to getting myself one too! Only thing trying to install it after taking exhaust system off and removing the stock shifter, how does the Coolerworx shifter mount to the body? I assume it’s from underneath. Found that the OEM brackets that hold the original shifter get in the way of the Coolerworx shifter being able to pop all the way through into the transmission aperture though. Clayton, how did yours fit? Don’t want to be hacking up anything if it’s not necessary! 😄

Coolerworx head office called me direct from Lithuania to help me fit. Excellent guys have to say! Apparently the earlier Lupos had carried over the Golf Mk3 gear change box bracket which is spot welded to the inside of the transmission tunnel. Explains why I couldn’t get the thing onto the body! Drilling out the spot welds and removing the brackets are all that is involved. I assume that Clayton’s Lupo is younger and won’t have this issue!

Edited by cpcpeter

54 minutes ago, cpcpeter said:

Coolerworx head office called me direct from Lithuania to help me fit. Excellent guys have to say! Apparently the earlier Lupos had carried over the Golf Mk3 gear change box bracket which is spot welded to the inside of the transmission tunnel. Explains why I couldn’t get the thing onto the body! Drilling out the spot welds and removing the brackets are all that is involved. I assume that Clayton’s Lupo is younger and won’t have this issue!

Hi mate, glad you got tit sorted. I was going to say there is one bracket that needs drilling off, I had the same thing on mine so I reckon it’s the earlier 5 speeds that don’t have the brackets👍🏼

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome. Would you say that with all the mods as it stands it’s neck and neck with a standard RS Clio 200 would you say? Would have thought the Clio would still be a little better with its suspension and geometry more track focussed, plus its slightly longer wheelbase..?

22 minutes ago, cpcpeter said:

Awesome. Would you say that with all the mods as it stands it’s neck and neck with a standard RS Clio 200 would you say? Would have thought the Clio would still be a little better with its suspension and geometry more track focussed, plus its slightly longer wheelbase..?

In a straight line mine is slightly faster, around a track they are very similar. I’m yet to come across a standard one but it really does depend on the driver. I’ve been faster than some modified ones but some have been faster than me. The Clio no doubt has the better chassis but they are common as muck so it’s more fun keeping up in something you don’t expect👌🏼

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When I last out in the car I had Xenon die on me. I was praying it was a bulb instead of a ballast but guess what, it was a ballast. I reckon I’ve changed them about 10 times in my ownership and at about £150 a piece it’s a bit of a pain, plus the bulbs are around £90 too. I looked into a solution and found a company called ledperf.co.uk who sell a D2S xenon to LED conversion kit. I took the plunge and got them fitted last night, very simple to do it’s just a case of joining two wires together. This way I’ve got rid of the ballast and D2S bulbs all together. I went for a drive last night to see how the compare, there really is no disadvantages. Beam pattern is great, light output is marginally better, a very crisp white light. 

Overall I’m glad I made the jump to LED’s, anyone thinking of doing the same thing drop me a message on Instagram @claytonjoness 👍🏼

The first picture is the LED’s, the second is the Xenons to give you an idea, I know a picture isn’t the best way to show the comparisons.

45020-ED3-3724-47-D1-A705-CD257-CC67-CE7
D4-AFC3-D8-14-E9-44-DB-B821-E28-E9354670
41-BF9966-C69-F-4-DE1-85-DF-A6-FF2159-E9
561-D4-ED3-6-BD5-43-C8-A194-13-F81-DE0-E

Edited by CLAYTONJONES
  • Like 1

Nice find, Clayton. This has always been a cause for concern for me, as my Xenons are starting to ever so slightly flicker (only with engine running). I’ve checked grounds, have a quality battery and changed alternator but still there. May be just a matter of time before the ballasts call it a day on me and this may be a viable alternative. 
As the pattern looks the same (from the photos anyway) let’s hope it passes the MoT but looks like it should. No-one will crack open the back to check whether the LEDs are E-rated, anyway. 
My only concern is the longevity of the LEDs. What is the warranty like, for example? I guess time will tell all!

34 minutes ago, cpcpeter said:

Nice find, Clayton. This has always been a cause for concern for me, as my Xenons are starting to ever so slightly flicker (only with engine running). I’ve checked grounds, have a quality battery and changed alternator but still there. May be just a matter of time before the ballasts call it a day on me and this may be a viable alternative. 
As the pattern looks the same (from the photos anyway) let’s hope it passes the MoT but looks like it should. No-one will crack open the back to check whether the LEDs are E-rated, anyway. 
My only concern is the longevity of the LEDs. What is the warranty like, for example? I guess time will tell all!

It is definitely a great alternative, the ballasts are hard to find and expensive! The beam pattern is identical, I was worried about that too but I was pleasantly surprised.

I’d be amazed if anyone failed an MOT on them, no one would ever know without removing the whole light and taking it apart and we know how much of a pain that is lol.

The kit I got comes with a 5 year warranty so I’m hoping they last that at least👍🏼 

7 minutes ago, cpcpeter said:

Looked at the site and 5 years is decent, especially for the cost of them.  It says 360 degree adjustable - did you have to do any fiddling with that or did you set them with the LED sections pointing horizontally?

I set them in the position with the LED pointing upwards, I tried pointing down but the beam pattern wasn’t as clear