Clayton's Tornado Red GTI..

CLAYTONJONES

Well I got the gearbox back in with the Quaife LSD fitted today. 

Took it out for a short drive to make sure everything was working as it should. The only words I can really think of is WOW, what a difference that has made. Feels like a completely different car to drive, understeer is almost non-existent now. 100% traction out of every corner now rather than one wheel always spinning which these suffer with quite badly. 

Overall I couldn't be more happier with it. Anyone who is thinking about getting one, stop thinking and get one!

DSC-0029.jpg
IMG-3719.jpg
IMG-3773.jpg
IMG-3720.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 8:08 PM, CLAYTONJONES said:

Well I got the gearbox back in with the Quaife LSD fitted today. 

Took it out for a short drive to make sure everything was working as it should. The only words I can really think of is WOW, what a difference that has made. Feels like a completely different car to drive, understeer is almost non-existent now. 100% traction out of every corner now rather than one wheel always spinning which these suffer with quite badly. 

Overall I couldn't be more happier with it. Anyone who is thinking about getting one, stop thinking and get one!

DSC-0029.jpg
IMG-3719.jpg
IMG-3773.jpg
IMG-3720.jpg

i noticed your bolts swap orientation in the two pictures, did you make the same mistake as i did and found they hit the casing in one orientation? 

This is a serious build done very tastefully. Didn’t like the initial route u were going down but I’m glad u went down the fast road car route. If u want to sell, drop me a pm

• 1 month later...

So seeing as we are finallly allowed to go for a drive, i've been making the most of it recently. I went for a bit of a blast last night with a mate in his Clio 200, they are very well matched on the road, his is more setup for track so a bit too stiff for the roads. Straight line performance they are exactly the same! We've booked a trackday at Snett for 4th June also :)

Would of been rude not to take a few pictures :)

DSC-0006.jpg
DSC-0020-1.jpg
DSC-0005.jpg
DSC-0004.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to get out on track yesterday at Snetterton, was only an evening session but felt so good to be back out there testing out the Nankang AR1’s and the Quaife LSD. The LSD really has transformed the car, no wheel spin what so ever out of any corners that I previously used to get. Managed to beat my best time by 3 seconds. The tyres felt great, can’t really tell the difference between these and R888R I’ve used before. I done the track day with a mate in his Clio 200 that’s fully stripped, roll caged and setup for track use. There was nothing in it between us, very close battle. I’ll leave the YouTube link below of my best lap :)

https://youtu.be/8ctnKyycZ3o

8-EBCAF74-245-F-4155-B641-E8034294563-B.

Clayton, are your enkei's lighter than your superleggeras, or are they ultralegerras?  What spacers you running and what is the ET on your alloys?  Looks like a cracking setup.  Are pads quite expensive for your Wilwoods?

For your shifter, did you have to drill through the floorpan like you would with a CAE kit?

Who did your cams/tuning?  Is it on the factory ECU?

2 minutes ago, cpcpeter said:

Clayton, are your enkei's lighter than your superleggeras, or are they ultralegerras?  What spacers you running and what is the ET on your alloys?  Looks like a cracking setup.  Are pads quite expensive for your Wilwoods?

For your shifter, did you have to drill through the floorpan like you would with a CAE kit?

Who did your cams/tuning?  Is it on the factory ECU?

Hi mate. I think they are 0.2kg lighter. They are ET28 and I have to use an 8mm spacer on the front to clear my brakes which does make them

rub on the arches annoyingly. 

The pads are actually cheaper than pads for the standard calipers! 

You have to drill 2 holes to mount it, that’s it. Definitely worth it👍🏼

Me and a mate fitted the cams. Wayne at chipwizards is one of few people that can map them on the standard ECU’s and he done a cracking job with mine!

Some nice pictures from the trackday have come through :)

Also, dropped the car off for a full front end respray Saturday, the stone chips were getting seriously bad so it was time to do something about it. It's then going for front end PPF (paint protection film) to try and make it last as long as possible :)

49983451048-15942c8e61-o.jpg
49983450108-70b8d180b7-o.jpg
49983450593-58242818d2-o.jpg
49983453568-e547e92ded-o.jpg

• Like 3

@CLAYTONJONES Awesome stuff.  I was all set on getting the CAE but may change my mind then if you think the feel is better.  Do you have to hack apart the shift weight on top of the 'box?

Did you manage to fit the cams without needing both VW locking tools?  I cannot for the life of me find one of them!

Could you drive the cams on the standard ECU or did the engine complain? :D

Beautiful car that bud, just spent ages going through the thread! 

Noticed you had the BC Racing coilovers... Would you recommend these? Seems like a good price for the dampening adjustment compared to the £1200 KW V2s,

Cheers, 

J

On 6/9/2020 at 8:12 PM, cpcpeter said:

@CLAYTONJONES Awesome stuff.  I was all set on getting the CAE but may change my mind then if you think the feel is better.  Do you have to hack apart the shift weight on top of the 'box?

Did you manage to fit the cams without needing both VW locking tools?  I cannot for the life of me find one of them!

Could you drive the cams on the standard ECU or did the engine complain? :D

I really love the Coolerworx, I’ve felt a CAE and they do feel really nice too but I wouldn’t say they are worth more money. A mate of mine fitted the cams whilst I “helped” and I’m sure he used both locking tools. 

You could drive it on standard ECU just fine👍🏼

On 6/13/2020 at 7:14 PM, JJT said:

Beautiful car that bud, just spent ages going through the thread! 

Noticed you had the BC Racing coilovers... Would you recommend these? Seems like a good price for the dampening adjustment compared to the £1200 KW V2s,

Cheers, 

J

Thanks mate!

I would 100% recommend the BC’s, I’ve had mine 3 years now and they are still great. 

So after the trackday I dropped the car off to the body shop the next day. The front end has been looking so tatty recently so it was over due. The painted said he’s never seen a car with so many stone chips lol. Got the car back yesterday, unfortunately not going to be driving it until I have PPF installed in a few weeks time when the paint has hardened. 

I also decided to remove the inner side lights and replace them with matching honeycomb grill. I love the way it looks now and it’s much better for cold air to my intake! 

70-BFCF92-F870-40-D0-865-F-63380-DDE1-C7
6949-D325-8-F59-4-DA6-AA70-9-A73-E06751-

• 1 month later...

I arrived home last night from what can only be described as the best Nurburgring trip ever. It was my 5th time over there and it gets better and bettter, the weather was absolutely perfect the whole weekend. I covered 1060 fault free miles including 10 laps! One of those beating my previous PB of 8.49 with an 8.39 :)

I'm sure some of you would have the seen my 'near miss' all over the Nurbrugring instagram and facebook pages lol. I'll leave the video link below if you haven't seen it. The issue was tyre pressures, I wasn't aware of how much you need to keep an eye on the pressures with Nankang AR1's. They raised waty more than I thought they would, I ended up being down to 22psi cold to be at the optimum pressure of 31psi. I was also slightly off line as I had an FK8 Type R behind me which put me under slight pressure. The front of the car just washed out and wouldn't grip. Safe to say I done well to hold it and come out of it with no damage, it knocked my front right camber out about a bit but with a bit of DIY later that evening I got it back to 'eye' perfect and the car felt great the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6MD6bfQfpc
IMG-5926.jpg
IMG-5913.jpg
IMG-5911.jpg
DSC-0014.jpg
DSC-0009-1.jpg
DSC-0016.jpg
DSC-0008.jpg
DSC-0014-1.jpg
cgps nyc

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The most recent purchase, it’s a number plate I’ve wanted ever since I first got the car but the modification always came first. So here it is, let me know what you think :) Took the car out for blast down to Aldeburgh today. Also booked a trackday at Anglesey for the 13th September, looking forward to that one!

DE39-BF05-3-B30-4-F7-E-BC2-E-E5635-AB375
780-C41-D8-BA55-4258-8-E26-1-DBC0261-D52
2-ECCC9-F1-CBC2-4-C45-938-D-5-C25-FC4732

Recent purchase of an Aluminium radiator, the car has never struggled with cooling issues as the car uses the same radiator as found in MK3 VR6 so it is more than sufficient. But being on the car since new I thought why not replace with better :)

Also got the subframe and wishbones back from powder coaters. Got the MK4 R32 reaer wishbones installed. It will all be going on in a few weeks time as well as a  cambelt change. I've booked a trackday at Anglesey for the 13th September, hopefully it's nice weather!

IMG-6797.jpg
IMG-6827.jpg
IMG-6830.jpg

Edited by CLAYTONJONES
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the most recent purchase and one that I think will make the car even better on road & track. A set of KW V2 coilovers! The BC’s have done me well but are still only a mid range coilover and they are 4 years old now. I picked these V2’s up for a price I couldn’t say no to. So today’s project was to get them on and setup, new bearings and top mounts front and rear. Only been out for a short drive to test them before getting the gel done again but the car rides noticeably better and turn in feels improved. Will report back more once they have been tested a bit more.

E5-F7-F595-5-E65-40-E6-A3-EE-FDD7961511-
AA1353-FF-1-A71-415-A-88-E7-7281-C5-E59-
03-FFD8-FC-31-C9-4-A41-8-EA0-761072295-E
95-ED72-A5-63-B7-459-D-9967-A8-A9-D794-D

So last weekend me and the missus made the trip up to Anglesey for a track day on the Sunday. We travelled up on Saturday and stayed the night, it's a 5-6 hour journey from Ipswich so I didn't fancy doing it all in one day :laugh:

Once again the car perfomed faultlessly, the best it's ever felt in fact with the new KW V2 coilovers. They really have transformed the car, night and day better than the BC's. The car feels so much more composed and the spring rates seem much better. A lot less body roll also. 

I managed to do around 60 laps in total, some on the international circuit and some on the coastal circuit. 

On the way home we decided to go to the Evo Triangle, having previously been before the cameras got installed, I knew it wouldn't be as good this time but it would of been rude not to ey? It's still a great road with some great views, got a couple of pictures and a little video of what the car sounds like on the outside. I'll leave some pictures and video's below :)

IMG-7159.jpg
IMG-7011.jpg
IMG-4463.jpg
50348452726-d06390fdf5-o.jpg
50348503356-4a575b7bfb-o.jpg
50348502511-7de798ff4d-o.jpg
IMG-7056.jpg
IMG-7226.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDk0kPqjFiA&ab_channel=ClaytonJones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ye4G77ChQ&ab_channel=ClaytonJones

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the subframe, wishbones and radiator on yesterday. The old subframe definitely needed changing out after finding a whole had been ripped in it from my 'near miss' at the Nurburgring. The radiator looked worse for wear aswell although it was still functioning properly. Something very satisfying about putting powder coated parts and new bolts on the car :)

IMG-7254.jpg
IMG-7255.jpg
IMG-7250.jpg
IMG-7251.jpg

The latest addition, a new custom intake made by a friend of mine at Motion Fabrication. Very pleased with the work and how it turned out, looks very neat in the engine bay. It runs directly to where the inner sidelights used to be, so it should get maximum airflow.

I also went to Santa Pod this weekend to GTI Festival. Haven't been to Pod for quite a while so I thought why not see what the GTI can do now. I took the car up the 1/4 mile strip when I first got the car completely standard, my best time then was a 15.9. I then went back a few years ago when the car had the full manifold exhaust system, intake and a lightened flywheel. I done a 15.4 so a decent improvement. Now with the cams, headwork and tune I managed to do a 14.8. Over a second faster than when the car was standard is a big improvement, well happy with that. I know this car isn't built for drag racing at all, but it's an easy way to see how much difference the upgardes have made :)

DSC-0008.jpg
DSC-0006.jpg
DSC-0005.jpg
IMG-7500.jpg
IMG-7487.jpg

• Like 1