Clayton's Tornado Red GTI..

CLAYTONJONES

Awesome setup you got there, nice little track weapon. I followed it closely and i like what you did, nice build. Keep it like that. On the track it looks like the car is moving really nice, with neutral behavior and very little understeer. How many laps could you squeeze out of the AD08R's until overheating them?

3 hours ago, Aditza579 said:

Awesome setup you got there, nice little track weapon. I followed it closely and i like what you did, nice build. Keep it like that. On the track it looks like the car is moving really nice, with neutral behavior and very little understeer. How many laps could you squeeze out of the AD08R's until overheating them?

Cheers appreciate the nice words👍🏼 

The rear anti roll bar really helps with understeer, the car rotates nicely when you need it to as well.

When i was really pushing them i find around 6-7 laps of Snetterton then you can feel them stary to over heat. I tend to about 5 at a time, seems to be the sweet spot.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest little mod, fitted a 7 row oil cooler Saturday. The car has never struglled with heat but with two Nürburgring trips coming up in the summer I thought why not, better to be safe than sorry! I’m going to paint it Black as i’m not keen on the way it stands out behind the bumper.

GhclQmx.jpg
ra2EA74.jpg
3b6D1fe.jpg

Its a great upgrade, looks like a Mocal? thermostatic oil filter plate?

Do you already have oil temperature gauge set up? I am interested in what temperature the AVY oil runs at - suspect its little hot head! I have some genuine VAG VDO gauges I need to fit in the space next the radio.

Mine is 13 row, a hand-me-down from my old Mk3 Gti. Sized for 2 litre 150 bhp ABF engine, the standard dash could be set to show oil temp, before cooler on motorway it would spike to over 120c after cooler it was a rock steady 90c. 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, CLAYTONJONES said:

The latest little mod, fitted a 7 row oil cooler Saturday. The car has never struglled with heat but with two Nürburgring trips coming up in the summer I thought why not, better to be safe than sorry! I’m going to paint it Black as i’m not keen on the way it stands out behind the bumper.

GhclQmx.jpg
ra2EA74.jpg
3b6D1fe.jpg

id recommend a thermostat in your oil cooler system, otherwise it'll take ages to get up to temperature and could cause more harm than good. Mocal do one in their sandwhich plate, or mishimoto do a serpate unit

Looking good though,

What was the reason behind the R32 wishbone bushes over powerflex ones?

13 minutes ago, imaparana said:

id recommend a thermostat in your oil cooler system, otherwise it'll take ages to get up to temperature and could cause more harm than good. Mocal do one in their sandwhich plate, or mishimoto do a serpate unit

Looking good though,

What was the reason behind the R32 wishbone bushes over powerflex ones?

A mate of mine had this and said I could have it, so i thought i’d try it without first. The car will only get driven properly once I know the oil is up to temperature. 

The reason for the R32 bushes is purely because they are softer than Powerflex but stiffer than standard. The whole idea with this car is to make it a really good road and decent on the track. So I don’t want it too stiff 👍🏼

• 3 weeks later...

No real big updates lately,

I fitted some Ferodo DS1.11's a week ago, after using the DS2500's with the standard calipers and always being pleased with them I thought i'd try the next step up and go for the 1.11's. First impressions are really good, even on the road. The initial bite is something i've never felt before in any car. The car weighing only 920kg obviously helps but they really do stop the car well now. I go to the Nurburgring on Easter weekend so only a few weeks away, they will get a proper test there!

Other than that i've just been enjoying the car in the nice weather recently. I'll leave some pictures below.

GwqqbMy.jpg

CYUp7Cd.jpg

KFzyy93.jpg

LV0kbAb.jpg

jFDebvE.jpg

5PjIqqq.jpg

Edited by CLAYTONJONES
  • Like 1

If you fire them on the in stroke (lean), then fire again about 20 degrees after TDC (once ignited), you get a double kick. It was the original concept behind FSI. Lots more torque... The hardest thing to manage is the common rail high pressure fuel pump. 

Yeah with a supercharger you can get about 550. Trouble is at high revs you run out of injector time.

15 minutes ago, mk2 said:

If you fire them on the in stroke (lean), then fire again about 20 degrees after TDC (once ignited), you get a double kick. It was the original concept behind FSI. Lots more torque... The hardest thing to manage is the common rail high pressure fuel pump. 

Yeah with a supercharger you can get about 550. Trouble is at high revs you run out of injector time.

Learn something new every day!

It’s currently turbo’d at around 400bhp, only around 9psi of boost. Needs a 4” MAF then the boost can be turned up.

• 3 weeks later...

So, another set of wheels. I have been wanting these for a very long time. Enkei RPF1. They are currently grey but i will be changing them to Silver in the future. They came with new near Toyo T1R’s which I hate but i will run them for a few weeks before they come off. Well happy with how they look though! 

Also, i go to the Nürburgring tomorrow! So i’ll update this after the trip!

fY2RVjC.jpg
OrBZxUM.jpg
23WfdgT.jpg

• Like 1