Lowering Springs

T3LLIOTT

I've recently bought a 1.4 Lupo and I would like to lower it. I would only want to go down 40mm (maybe 60mm at a push) and I'm wondering how best to go about this. I've been advised to go for lowering springs rather than coilovers because a.) I don't need go go really low, as the roads around Sheffield are shocking! And b.) I've been told that coilovers offer a harsher ride over lowering springs as they are more track/B road focused.

My questions are:

Are there any massive disadvantages with the cheap ebay springs such as Lo Suspension and FK's?!

Will I need to uprate the shocks to cope with the added stress?

Also will will I need my alignment sorted for a 40mm drop?

Any other suggestions and advice welcome :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

The great thing about coilovers is you can change your mind if you want to go lower. Or higher. They'll handle better but I would expect lowering springs to be much more comfortable. Eibach springs are supposed to be good for a balance of comfort & handling. It's said that you shouldn't go more than 50mm lower on standard shocks or you risk blowing them, there's a few peeps have run 60mm springs though. And you should always get your tracking done after changing any suspension components.

Thanks for the advice guys! :) I understand the appeal with coilovers and being able to change the ride height - that could come in handy! I'm having the cambelt done today so I'll have a chat to my mechanic see what he says.

I've just fitted coilovers to the ST and there a flippin nightmare. Great on decent roads but round Sheff its a bit rough.

Get yourself a nice set of -40mm springs with some decent alloys.

• 5 weeks later...