switched 12v

Mini_ash

Why don't you add a relay? Use (as in patch in) the head units switched live then use the constant from the cigarette socket?

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-12-VCD-Automotive-Relay/dp/B0002KR9GG

Surely that would suffice? You might want a base too as it just makes wiring in a little easier, although I know loads of people who have soldered directly onto the legs and then wrapped them using a tight heat shrink to minimize vibration wear.

That's what I'd do personally. Wouldn't take long to wire in... what I will say is buy a decent charger. Spend £15 and buy a really high quality make. Don't use one of those Poundland jobs. Better still, if your head unit has a USB socket on the back (mine does) use a dumb USB cable. That would be the lazy way of doing it :D

Edited by Skezza

Apologies, that Amazon link is USA.

From eBay UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pin-Normally-Open-contact-MICRO-Relay-20A-/300796595195?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4608dfcbfb

20amps is way way too much so you'd need to add a fuse as I said.

Are you using a multi meter? There's plenty of switched power around the ignition

i dont want to play around with my ignition

Why don't you add a relay? Use (as in patch in) the head units switched live then use the constant from the cigarette socket?

do you know how hard relays are to steal :angry2: and if i use the remote turnon on the radio wont it stop my amp last time i tryed it just eathed out my wire and stoped it turning on

Add a bloody fuse in as well. Don't be a Barry boy!!

im going to be smart and use a 5amp unless can find smaller :thumbup:

im useing the insides of that just need to find power for it

i dont want to play around with my ignition

do you know how hard relays are to steal :angry2: and if i use the remote turnon on the radio wont it stop my amp last time i tryed it just eathed out my wire and stoped it turning on

im going to be smart and use a 5amp unless can find smaller :thumbup:

I'm totally confused. How hard they are to steal lol? Is that a joke, they're only like £1.99 or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here lol. The remote turn on? Explain further.

I completely understand what he wants, but I'm not sure he actually knows himself what and most importantly how... Also I think he's misunderstanding the electrical side of it....

You want a switched live charging socket for your phone, but don't want to tap into the ignition wiring directly... That is fine, in fact it makes total sense.

There are two easy ways you can do it:

Tap into your head unit switched live. This is really easy, and you don't really need to cut any important wires. You just tap into the wiring adapter that you need to add when fitting an aftermarket HU. This is what I would do, as it's by far the easiest and probably the safest. Your head unit has a 10Amp fuse but I guarantee the current draw from your head unit will be a max 3amps. Very few will draw more and if they do, there is no way they are drawing 10amps. Tap in, ground somewhere, you have switched live.

Alternatively, add a relay using the constant live from cig socket. That's a max output of 5a though.

@Pete91

Where could he take the feed from though? Wouldn't that make it an exceedingly big job?

Edited by Skezza

Nah mate you'd just need to remove a couple bits of trim, take a wire from the battery through the grommet into the passenger footwell and then to wherever you want the switch to be. If it was me if stick it in one of the blanks just above the cig lighter :)