Lupo Loosing oil!

gnilleg

Hey guys,

My Lupo seems to be loosing oil, i am needing to top up every month! I dont get any smoke on start up but when i put my foot down i do get quite a bit of white smoke from the exhaust!? I only do about 200miles a month and it has 20,000 on the clock.

My last service indicated that there was no leaks but the engine must be burning oil?

I have just spoke to my VW dealer and they have told me to book it in for diagnostics this week which is going to cost £115!!

Any ideas what the problem might be? Would really like to avoid the cost of the diagnostics :s

Thanks Jack

Edited by gnilleg

With a car with that sort of mileage I wouldn't expect it to be losing oil or have any problems at all.

If it was a older car I would suggest that the rocker cover gasket could be leaking, like mine was...

a tell tell sign is oil in the spark plug wells.

Thanks tintin360, It is an older car (2001) i will have a look at the spark plug wells.

And 'electricracer' thanks for the reply,

Im topping it up to about 3/4 full? i did this last week and after a day of driving about 150 miles the oil was down to a quater left? Im getting the white smoke when the engine is cold havent really noticed it when its hot.

Edited by gnilleg

white smoke probably just the condensation from a cold exhaust as long as it goes when warm wouldnt worry about it,

are there any leaks from the engine? if you have an under tray you wont always see them, it could possibly be a breather thats blocked pushing the oil out

From the last service I was told 'no signs of major leaks only a few damp patches' nothing to suggest why the level would be dropping so quickly?

Edited by gnilleg

If your loosing so much oil there must be a sign of where it is coming from, while the engine is running have a look around the engine bay and under the car, see if you can see any oil dripping out.

these little buggars love burning oil if you dont drive them far enough, i had the same problem with my rosa and no doubt will be having it with the loop. if theres no leaks, no white smoke and no gunky coolant then you'll be fine mate, try driving it for longer, but then what you save in oil loss you'll use in fuel