The Tank & Carbon Handmade HCCA Sub Box :D

mad-modz

Just need to grind a few brackets off the boot floor, then I can make a solid base to start from out of 18mm MDF and foam between that & the bodywork....

Im also removing the headlining, and smashing a sheet of 18mm MDF & foam up there to stop roof flex... :D

035oa.jpg

Il take some pics once I start....

Nice work. 18mm does seem mighty thick though you're gonna be lugging some weight around!

The paint looks awesome

Haha cheers... Not perfect thanks to the dust created by the builder when i was painting... Thinking of wet flatting and applying another final layer to make it a bit better....

Nice work. 18mm does seem mighty thick though you're gonna be lugging some weight around!

haha... usually in a proper walled car it would be 2x18mm sheets up on the roof.... so im going inbetween with just the 1... As for weight, thats fine, and one of the reasons i went for an SDI.

(not my post but will explain http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.php/topic/359913-how-thick-for-mdf-roof/ )

18mm MDF headliner..? How are you going to hold that up haha!

Well, glue, screws and expandy foam... once its set it will be fine... will have to prop it up while it cures though...

usually in a proper walled car it would be 2x18mm sheets up on the roof.... so im going inbetween with just the 1... As for weight, thats fine, and one of the reasons i went for an SDI.

(not my post but will explain http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.php/topic/359913-how-thick-for-mdf-roof/ )

I think I know the black Lupo one of them mentions, think he was on here. It was pretty ridiculous, in a good way haha

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a while, and a fair bits gone on...

Ive painted the inside of the car to match the outer although with a paintbrush this time lol...

I then got on to repairing the the front indicator panel with a quick plasti-weld & fill as i couldn't find a replacement, it was then painted & fitted.

018vez.jpg

I also attempted the MDF roof with my mate, and..... with a day of swearing, cut hands and soaked due to the weather, we decided to sack it off... Instead we have soundproofed the roof wiht the same stuff ive done the rest of the car with... The MDF was too straight compared to the major roof curve, meaning we either had to cut the MDF in 2-3 bits, or layer up smaller bendable sheets.. The 1st option being pointless as it would be 'weak' on the joins, and the other option major effort compared with cheapo soundproofing...

004tvx.JPG

001fao.jpg

002rza.jpg

003ygk.jpg

The soundproofing on the roof has made a massive amount of difference, in fact the whole car has been like driving a bubble... the only other noticeable thing is the car is super hot inside now, as it holds the heat a fair bit lol.

Also had a courier deliver me a new middle section... although putting off fitting this as its clearly going to be a crappy job...

010bxd.jpg

Today between diy window tinting and quoting work, i had a go at my quick door builds... These have taken me about 2 hours to get to the stage they are at in the last pic (bar the resin drying time, which was about 45 mins with the heatgun to speed up)... Im having two entry sets of 6.5" components for the time being in the doors.... With custom bottom door cards made from a 12mm MDF base, and a 18MM woofer baffle... Then the tweeters are in the upper part of the door as per pics...

007zmb.jpg

008uku.jpg

18mm Baffle...

004ssl.jpg

12mm Lower Card (cut out to vent midrange speakers slightly and mean a closer fit/thinner door card can be achieved)

005pya.jpg

Tweets Cut & Doorcards Hot glued...

006rtx.jpg

Clearance... (note these speakers have plenty of air within the build itself, however are still free air as they are vented into the door)

010glg.jpg

Starting to stretch & glue old t-shirts over ready to resin...

012ai.jpg

013vht.jpg

Resin - Left to go hard before layering glass...

016ucm.jpg

Then the doorcards as they stand now... They are not being smoothed and are being trimmed with a layer of wadding to give a padded feel to them... Hence me not needing to make them 100% perfect... (not far off tho lol)...

017lvo.jpg

Then the only thing left to do was to trial fit a tweet... :D

018eh.jpg

Im possibly opening out the hole in the tweeter mounts to give me the ability to move my manual mirrors inside the car... Haven't decided just yet tho... will have a look in the morning once im back from Birmingham with my fabric to trim up.... (poss grey suede)...

Well ive picked up a small sub for the lupo...... (popped a 50p coin onto the magnet to give a size to gauge)...

015olm.jpg

016lry.jpg

The sub will take the 2500/2600w RMS my amp will give it fairly easily (as long as its a clean signal, which it will be)...

The box that came with the sub was cr*p to say the least, so it was time to calculate, design & build a new one.... Ive gone for a 28Hz, L - flare ported box, with a double 18mm baffle, 45's and a resin coated internal...Its bang on 3 cubic foot with all the displacement taken into account. Its been glued, screwed (a lot) and the front is currently being skimmed/wrapped with carbon modz carbon (due to having loads laying about)....

The box has been designed to maximize airflow out of the port, and tuned to hit lows in my music taste, rather than just a SPL frequency... Ive still got layers of resin to lay and wait to cure which should take a good few days to do... But when thats sorted, i will be carpeting the other sides and clear coating the front panel to bring the carbon out...

Some pics...

010gmb.jpg

011wi.jpg

022wzk.jpg

026vys.jpg

028ndg.jpg

033zbw.jpg

032zf.jpg

035ez.jpg

037agw.jpg

Thanks for the great comments...makes all the swear words worth it haha!!...

Well ive cracked on a bit more with the sub box.....

The front had ist 1st coat of resin, which was left for 16 hours to cure, before having a 240 grit wet sand to remove high spots prior to the second resin coat....

001slh.jpg

Second resin coat....

004ltx.jpg

Left to cure for another 18 hours and it looked like this....

007zka.jpg

008vv.jpg

Sanded smooth from 100grit to 600, and then squared the port back up with paint (as the sanding had taken the coloring off in places).

014wls.jpg

015uw.jpg

The sub box was then left in an upright position for 3 days to let the styrene cure and leave the resin (should prevent clouding down the line)...

018zmd.jpg

While i had nothing better to do, i thought id trim the rest of the items which were made for the car... I initially chose suede, but didn't like the look of it against my rugged looking lupo, so i ended up redoing in acoustic material...

023pra.jpg

025ed.jpg

029frc.jpg

Finally today ive clear coated the front of my box... This is going to be left to cure again for 24-48 hours before i start to carpet & polish..... I'm quite happy with the result, just hope it sounds as good as it looks lol...

063za.jpg

065ww.jpg

Well between work and setting up my online shop Ive carried on with the beast of a sub box...

I masked off the carbon (to prevent spray glue going everywhere), and got to work trimming in 1 piece of acoustic carpet.

002qx.jpg

004tdux.jpg

With the box trimmed it was covered in a layer of poorboys EXP to give me a seal of polish to the front.. This was left overnight to 'eat in'...

009ood.jpg

This morning it was time to wire up the sub to run 4 ohms, as the amp i have delivers 2500w RMS at 4ohm :D... I done this via putting the voice coils in series, thus adding 2ohm + 2ohm, giving me 4 :D

011zoz.jpg

With the wiring sorted, i sealed the ring of the woofer with clear silicone prior to bolting in place... This is due to the front of the box being smooth (rather than the usual carpet/fabric/wood finish). With it being smooth, air can creep out around the sub giving a naff bassline and an added 'farting' noise...

014kq.jpg

The amps been screwed to the rear of the box, as i need this all easily removable from the car at the min.... Anyhow one custom sub box finished.. Ta dahhhh....

017lnj.jpg

019ocq.jpg

Just awaiting my second 0awg wiring kit to turn up.... I didn't realize my amp requires TWO 25mm2 (0awg) positives, and TWO 25mm2 (0awg) negatives... Thus meaning two 150a fuses, loads of ring connectors and more cable... (ended up being cheaper to buy an extra £30 wiring kit than the bits separately)...

I cant wait to get this beast in the car.... Just annoying me having to wait now lol!! Already got the second battery and the other bits and bobs installed....

Lovely color dude. Is that an NZXT case I spy in the background? I have a 410 and I love it. What are your PC specs?