An observation

Skezza

Some of you may disagree with me on this, but as I was going through the Archive/How To, I realized that we seem to lack basic instructions for fairly fundamental tasks while being overloaded with 'vanity' tutorials so to speak. I'm not saying these are bad, I intend on writing one or two myself when I get chance (we need a proper one for RCL which I will write over the next few days), but it seems strange that we don't have a single tutorial for replacing a headlight bulb on a non-GTI Lupo. This isn't the easiest task in the world for a novice, yet there's not a single description on how to do it. Another one that's missing is how to replace a Brake Light Switch. Why? It's a really simple task, but not if you don't know where to look!

I'm not suggesting that the current information isn't useful. I'm just saying perhaps we need to look at compiling more tutorials, on more basic subjects as well as more complicated.

I'm expecting a load of abuse here or 30 "why don't you write them then" comments, but like I said, just an observation.

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 32

I know you're expecting this lol...why don't you write them?

*sigh*

I will write the ones I can write. Some of them, I can't because I haven't done the job. As you know (From our convo) I fitted the RCL the other day. It wasn't that hard. But I had to scramble around various threads to try and find certain info, and then PM you because I felt there wasn't enough information on certain issues.

People from these forums do jobs every day on their Lupo, ranging from changing headlight bulbs to dismantling lock mechanisms, would it be that hard to write a quick 5 minute tutorial? You don't have to take photos. Sure, they're useful, but textual information alone is absolutely fine for most people.

Edited by Skezza

Would you like me to do a write up on how to install a 24V V6 into a golf mk2?

Totally missed the point. Nothing new there though.

• Like 1

I super agree. The problem I think is most people on here are new or not diyers and therefore it would be a small amount of people doing all the work. Generally on other forums the diys are massive and comprehensive. There are some handy ones on here but no simple ones :lol:

I recently got a polo Haynes because of lack of info. Generally I have to search for the 1.9 tdi diys and port them over to fit the 1.4 tdi but it's not always the same and if you don't have a similar engine then it's hard. Bar trying to help the club which IMO is reason enough but what incentive do people have?

• Like 1

I also have a Polo Haynes DIY manual.

The tutorials we have are excellent but many of them are not that useful for the ordinary individual. We need tutorials that explain how to do ordinary tasks, such as changing headlight bulbs, fixing broken central locking mechanisms (something else I'm having to do from various other VW forums, and dribs and drabs from here), fixing seized up rear window washers. These are jobs that ordinary people might have to do. It wouldn't take long for us to compile a big list if people just wrote a 5 minute explanation of how they did what they did. Any photos or videos would be helpful too.

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 1

I'm going to make a DIY for Remote Central Locking. There really isn't one right now, plus the way to wire it in differs from post to post. Plus it's useful to compile different methods of wiring in to the indicators for example Pete91's method which uses the hazard switch instead of the wiring off the indicator stalk in the steering column

Hear, hear. If you do a brake light switch one you could save me a few quid :lol:

• Like 1

If my brake light switch goes, I'll do a tutorial, but it's fairly straightforward. You just need to drop the piece of trim above the pedals and switch it. Maybe I'll do a tutorial demonstrating the removal and replacing of my own, with the one currently fitted lol! :D

• Like 1

From now on, any work I do, I'll try to record or photograph, or at least note, however there's a lot of jobs that should be noted on here by now and aren't

From now on, any work I do, I'll try to record or photograph, or at least note, however there's a lot of jobs that should be noted on here by now and aren't

Agreed I try to document my work but forgot half the time. If someone could make a list of what we need we could see what needs doing etc etc and then it would be fine.

Next guide I will make but will be service time how to replace fuel filter and cabin filter.

A lot of these things are covered in a 6n Haynes manual though?

Hmm, I disagree. I own the 6n Haynes manual with details on my engine (94-98) and of course while it provides details about my engine and routine maintenance it's outdated with regards to electricals etc. Does that mean I have to buy 2, or even 3 Haynes manuals to get a full picture of my Lupo? Because there's the 00-02 copy and the 01-05 copy I believe?

Plus the Haynes manuals don't cover certain topics.

Sorry I was mainly referring to the fuel and cabin filter. I like the idea of getting more how to's up though :)

Ahh, whoops. Should have read your reply twice lol. That said, even with those things being in the Haynes, their should be How To's on here in my opinion. Other cars have masses of photo aided tutorials, and some even have videos. We should be aiming for that in my opinion. Haynes manuals are excellent however with there being no Lupo one it's a bit annoying. I like ElsaWin but it's not perfect and many of the diagrams suck in my opinion. They are very abstract and they aren't exactly easy to follow.

If they had produced a Lupo Haynes, I think this whole thread would be redundant, but they didn't. They really should have to be honest, but they aren't going to change their mind now. Let's build the How To section :D

Come up with a list of stuff you think would be good and I'm sure folk wouldn't mind helping out with a couple. People will have done things that to them don't seem like a difficult task but to others it might well be. If folk see something in the list that they've done they may feel more inclined to do a how to. I've done loads of random things on my lupos like servicing, interior stuff, boot builds, bulbs etc that I've not really thought about a how to cos I've not really seen there to be enough of a market. If there was a list of things folk were after then I'd be more inclined to put the effort in and get some stuff written up.

A lot of these things are covered in a 6n Haynes manual though?

Not for the tdi. The 9n covers some things but the engine bay is different and tbh haynes isn't all that IMO these days. I'm sure it used to be better?

I think it would make for a better site.

• Like 12

Come up with a list of stuff you think would be good and I'm sure folk wouldn't mind helping out with a couple. People will have done things that to them don't seem like a difficult task but to others it might well be. If folk see something in the list that they've done they may feel more inclined to do a how to. I've done loads of random things on my lupos like servicing, interior stuff, boot builds, bulbs etc that I've not really thought about a how to cos I've not really seen there to be enough of a market. If there was a list of things folk were after then I'd be more inclined to put the effort in and get some stuff written up.

Yeah, that's a good idea. To be honest though Pete, we're lacking even the basics right now. Changing a headlight bulb on a non-GTI Lupo doesn't look like the easiest task (I haven't tried yet) but there is still no tutorial. There's a bloody bulb guide but no explanation of how to fit them lol! It's fundamental information that isn't provided in the manual but isn't obvious here.

We're also missing tutorials on other routine maintenance such as lubricating the electric window mechanism. I hope to do this in the next week and I will produce a tutorial that hopefully outlines how I do it. Over time, we'll build a knowledge base. I also think that locking How To's might not be the best idea as it prevents anyone from adding input.

• Like 1

Some of you may disagree with me on this, but as I was going through the Archive/How To, I realized that we seem to lack basic instructions for fairly fundamental tasks while being overloaded with 'vanity' tutorials so to speak. I'm not saying these are bad, I intend on writing one or two myself when I get chance (we need a proper one for RCL which I will write over the next few days), but it seems strange that we don't have a single tutorial for replacing a headlight bulb on a non-GTI Lupo. This isn't the easiest task in the world for a novice, yet there's not a single description on how to do it. Another one that's missing is how to replace a Brake Light Switch. Why? It's a really simple task, but not if you don't know where to look!

I'm not suggesting that the current information isn't useful. I'm just saying perhaps we need to look at compiling more tutorials, on more basic subjects as well as more complicated.

I'm expecting a load of abuse here or 30 "why don't you write them then" comments, but like I said, just an observation.

I do agree on this, maybe just me being a dipshit which i'll take on the chin if I cam being but changing my headlight bulbs on my SDI is a bitch of a job that I hate doing and always just end up putting off or getting someone else to help as its complicated (for me). Fiddling with a bit of trial and error is always a bit risky.

I do agree on this, maybe just me being a dipshit which i'll take on the chin if I cam being but changing my headlight bulbs on my SDI is a bitch of a job that I hate doing and always just end up putting off or getting someone else to help as its complicated (for me). Fiddling with a bit of trial and error is always a bit risky.

It looks like a right bitch to me, but I haven't had a go yet. Not really the right weather now that it's pissing it down every day lol. When it's sunny again, I'll have a go!!

We just need people to write a 5 minute tutorial on the work they have done. How many people come on here to say "hey I've done this..." but then not explain how to do it? It's ridiculous.

Edited by Skezza