Rotten egg smell

WS6

Smell is bad when I first start the car and when I come to a stop in traffic, is it my cat? If so, any idea where and how much I can get a new one?

Thanks

I heard about the sulphur in the battery smelling, how would I know if it was battery overcharging, or is it just buy new battery?

change battery and alternator as this IS overcharging yur battery.

Edited by fattasss

I was always told rotten egg smell was the 10 out of 10 sign of a catalytic converter gone pukey.

We had egg sandwiches but the smell was still there after lunch!, I think it must be cat, can't smell it at exhaust but can in the car. Perfect timing with mot next month. Anyone any idea of cost/availability?

Thanks all - defcon5, did you have any problems driving (apart from smell)? I have heard loss of power can occur but I have not noticed anything

• 2 months later...

I had an eggy smell from my loop - wasn't cat related though, temp sensor that needed replacing. Eggy smell was only on cold starts and disappeared after a minute or so, and was definitely coming from the front of the car, not from the exhaust...