VW MCD satnav into an Arosa mk2 ?

Does anyone on here have any experience of fitting a VW MCD satnav ( the one with the small monochrome screen) into a Seat Arosa ? If anyone has done it does it use the standard existing wiring, or would it need an adaptor of some type ? thanks.

Isn't it canbus? You'll have the 59 minute bug I believe.

The satnav canbus ? I've heard about LED lights giving problems on some modern cars, I didn't know it could apply to radios/satnavs. What is the 59 minute bug ? I have seen a picture of a Lupo with the MCD satnav fitted, on this site - I was wondering if the wiring in the Arosa is similar enough to allow fitting the same unit ?

Edited by bluebottle

Arosa and Lupo wiring is the same, so fitting should be identical.

The MCD is mk4 Golf era, I believe, so no canbus issues.

I had an MFD fitted and all it required was a GPS aerial and a plug and play lead.

I'm sure there's a how to on here somewhere from years ago by bossjohnc. He had an MCD then upgraded to an MFD.

The satnav canbus ? I've heard about LED lights giving problems on some modern cars, I didn't know it could apply to radios/satnavs. What is the 59 minute bug ? I have seen a picture of a Lupo with the MCD satnav fitted, on this site - I was wondering if the wiring in the Arosa is similar enough to allow fitting the same unit ?

59 minute bug is what newer VW radios get in older cars like the Lupo. They switch off after the 59th minute because they expect a canbus signal (?). I know that someone on on MKIV's forum fitted one using a special adapter he custom made or something. I don't remember how he got it working, but it seemed like an extraordinarily large amount of work for not much gain. If I remember the end result wasn't that nice either as the new ones are curved so he had to trim some of the dash. Yikes, don't sign me up.

Edit: If the routing is anything like the MFD then you'll be disappointed, however I just had a look and the actual unit itself looks really nice!

Edited by Skezza

Arosa and Lupo wiring is the same, so fitting should be identical.

The MCD is mk4 Golf era, I believe, so no canbus issues.

I had an MFD fitted and all it required was a GPS aerial and a plug and play lead.

I'm sure there's a how to on here somewhere from years ago by bossjohnc. He had an MCD then upgraded to an MFD.

Thanks for the information, that is helpful. If you could describe/ give a link to the plug and play lead required that would be great - I've done a google search and there seem to be a range of VW plug and play leads available (varying in price) and I would like to be sure I was getting the right one.

The only cable/adapter you might need is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Multimedia-adapter-Audi-VW-MFD-Navi-Plus-add-video-signal-to-navi-/140963450554?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20d2138eba

Which allows you to view aux screen input while the car's moving.

If you're struggling to get it in, remove the 'arosa' tray from underneath so you can get your hand behind to tuck away cables and things, then refit. I had to do it when fitting my MFD. It's a bit tight behind there!

If you're struggling to get it in, remove the 'arosa' tray from underneath so you can get your hand behind to tuck away cables and things, then refit. I had to do it when fitting my MFD. It's a bit tight behind there!

It's not that, I'm still in the process of connecting a CD changer unit to it and haven't threaded the lead for that through yet, saves me having to "unlock"it from the dash again with the four spring clips.

I have to say well done. I'm not going to rush out and buy one don't get me wrong, but I'm impressed with the look of that in the dash.

I have to say well done. I'm not going to rush out and buy one don't get me wrong, but I'm impressed with the look of that in the dash.

Thanks, I'm pleased with it, and it has improved the sound quality (and the radio reception surprisingly) :thumbsup: