Engine lost power while driving and now won't start

Need a rough diagnosis here guys.

So, I was driving down the bypass and the car just lost all drive in 5th. It felt as if came off the accelerator. No rough noises or smoke or anything similar.. Car would still engine brake if you went down the gears. Battery light came on as soon as it happened but electrics still work and all that. When it was stationary I tried starting it up again, it's turning over but just won't start...

Fuel pump?
Timing belt?

Any ideas?
Just want to know if it could be expensive

Car is a 2000 1.4 Lupo Sport :rant:

Usually if your cam belt goes you no about it due to valves hitting pistons, but he said he heard no rough noises, but of a wierd one that.

• 5 weeks later...

Same has just happened to me on the way home!

AA called out and he diagnosed it as I have no clue about these things. I was stopped at a junction so was idling.

I've got a wee 1 litre, how much was yours for repair? I believe they need to tale various bits off the engine to see if any of the cams are bent or something?

I'd like to know why they chose rubber too. I know someone with a shonky old Micra with 150k miles on... chain driven... never ever touched.

a lot of newer vw's do use chains, but they aren't without their problems....

danoid, Ford KrAp's use chain driven Endura engines and then chain driven Duratec engines. They were super budget cars.

Ford engines are quite good though tbh, just the rest is not to my taste, but it is true that chains just have as many problems but less likely to snap

True. The old Endura engine was bullet proof.