JVC KD-R431 Head Unit display problems

I have recently fitted a JVC Kd-R431 head unit to my 1.4S Lupo. All went fine apart from the display which is very display went very dim, more like blue on black instead of white on black! I set the dimmer to off to prevent the unit switch from day to night if I switch my headlights on but even at day setting it is still very dim.

Any ideas please? The unit was installed in my wife's car about 10 days ago and it had no problems with the display, really bright and white.

I just cannot understand why it is doing this. I bought this for my wife's car and was so impressed that I wanted to fit one to the Lupo but it must be the Lupo's wiring that has caused the unit to malfunction. I have taken it back to Halfords, they have given me another unit, althought it is better but still not as bright as it should be.

I tried disconnect the orange/white but the display is still dim.

OK, I'm guessing (only guessing though) that you didn't wire the dimmer in at all. Most of the time, the dimmer doesn't get wired in because the head unit has a secondary wire for it. Some head units, don't even support the variable dimmer, they just support bright and not bright, I believe that is based on the headlights being on or off.

Anyway, the wire you want I believe is the orange one in the wiring harness. I believe it's a 12v line, so check the readings on a multimeter, and check what the stereo wants. As I said, some stereos (many in fact) have a secondary wire outside of the harness that is labelled with "DIM" or "ILLUMI".