door moan and creak?!

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/85709-horrible-noise-from-door-after-new-check-strap/?hl=+door%20+check%20+strap

This is not the same link but this member did post a video of his bracket, if you view the video you will see the bracket moved in and out when he closed the door hence the loud clonking noise, made worse with a new strap!

My driver's door was the same until I got it welded. The passenger door bracket does not move when I open or close the door, once a new strap was fitted, there is hardly any noise although the driver's door is quieter than the passenger side now, probably because it is now absolutely solid with the weld!

I can insert a photo of the welded bracket when I can find my camera cable.

It would be of a massive help if you could please :)

That's interesting. I could do with a photo of where you had it welded to get a better idea.

Bless you both!! Its just a massive pain in the backside when you're trying to figure out what it is, and then do something to sort it and it not work....

xx

With a bit of luck, it won't be the bracket ripped from the body as described by jeeprk, otherwise you'll need to get it welded and that'll cost a few quid. I'm hoping I get chance over the next day or two to record a tutorial for the heat shrink wrap fix which will be of some help I hope.

With a bit of luck, it won't be the bracket ripped from the body as described by jeeprk, otherwise you'll need to get it welded and that'll cost a few quid. I'm hoping I get chance over the next day or two to record a tutorial for the heat shrink wrap fix which will be of some help I hope.

Ugh that would be brilliant you're such a doll :) Thank you xx

Hi guys Here are the photos

8719841688_ea65044efc_z.jpg

8719841112_52a5304d0b_z.jpg

As I mentioned before, it is not pretty but did the trick. I have since use Hard As Nails paste to fill all the gaps and covered all the welds to make it smooth. Will spray it over once the paste is dried (Hard As Nails set really hard but takes 2 or 3 days to dry with the amount I used!). With the support of hard as nails the bracket should be fine.

I am not sure how much the welding cost. I got charged 3 hours labour but that included fitting a new cat, replaced both front wheel bearings and replaced rear brake spring sets and the welding! I have finally found a decent garage that does not rip people off! I would expect half an hour or so to weld.

I have also discovered why the passenger side was clicking slightly after the driver's side door was welded and it is now almost silent. I checked yesterday and realised I did not tightened the bolts to the straps enough! It is now as quiet as the driver's side. I must had just bolted the new strap to the passenger side to check and forgot to tightened the bolts!

It would appear if any part is loose it will create the clonking noise!

Before the bracket was welded, the bracket moved in and out when I tried to open or close the door.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Hi guys Here are the photos

8719841688_ea65044efc_z.jpg

8719841112_52a5304d0b_z.jpg

As I mentioned before, it is not pretty but did the trick. I have since use Hard As Nails paste to fill all the gaps and covered all the welds to make it smooth. Will spray it over once the paste is dried (Hard As Nails set really hard but takes 2 or 3 days to dry with the amount I used!). With the support of hard as nails the bracket should be fine.

I am not sure how much the welding cost. I got charged 3 hours labour but that included fitting a new cat, replaced both front wheel bearings and replaced rear brake spring sets and the welding! I have finally found a decent garage that does not rip people off! I would expect half an hour or so to weld.

I have also discovered why the passenger side was clicking slightly after the driver's side door was welded and it is now almost silent. I checked yesterday and realised I did not tightened the bolts to the straps enough! It is now as quiet as the driver's side. I must had just bolted the new strap to the passenger side to check and forgot to tightened the bolts!

It would appear if any part is loose it will create the clonking noise!

Before the bracket was welded, the bracket moved in and out when I tried to open or close the door.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you so much xx

• 2 weeks later...

That looks hideous.

I have four check straps to replace in total, stupid things.

Probably should have done one yesterday when I had the door apart to fix the window.

I fitted an L shape small bracket and this has worked fine. Screw bracket to the body and then to the bit thats broke this will stop the bit thats broke moving in when the door shuts. I will probably add a little weld to this for strenght when I get chance but at the moment its doing the trick with some self tappers.

8750238974_05b715cefe_m.jpg

This is the door check strap filled with Hard As Nails and painted. You can get a tube of hard as nails from Poundland for £1, also the gun for £1. I injected loads of the stuff inside and filled the welding gaps with it. It is for fixing brackets etc therefore using this stuff takes ages to dry and hardened but it will help strengthen the bracket. It is quite easy to get a smooth finish before the stuff dries.

I do not have a video but there is not much point because both doors are now completely silent when I open or shut the doors! Before it was welded, the bracket moved in and out but now it does not move at all.

The white bit is because I fitted the rubber gourmet back last night and when I took the photo I realised the hard as nail is still not dried! Will have to touch it up but will leave it for a few days to dry. Hard As Nail is really good, I fitted the wheel arch moulding back to my wife's Jeep with the stuff and after a couple of days there is no way the moulding will come off again. I had to buy the metal brackets on the other side because they were rusted away and that cost over £55! I should have fixed the other side first before I ordered the brackets!

• 3 months later...

I fitted an L shape small bracket and this has worked fine. Screw bracket to the body and then to the bit thats broke this will stop the bit thats broke moving in when the door shuts. I will probably add a little weld to this for strenght when I get chance but at the moment its doing the trick with some self tappers.

Any chance you could post a photo of this? My car has the same problem with the car side mount moving and snapping against the frame as it moves. Passenger side version doesn't move at all.

Edited by stator