Time of year again

Crusoe

Time of year when I start looking for replacement wheels. Running out of BMW options I think (though z4m or a v8 might be fun) tempted by something older and more interesting but it needs to be reliable and used as a daily so approved used warrenty is usually what I go for.

Last few cars for those who don't keep up:
3lr Z4 E85 m sport with the sound generator modification and a few other custom bits and enjoyed the sound and handling though the ride was pretty shocking and it needed plenty of things replaced under warranty (wheels, steering rack, rear springs etc.)

Mover to an E46 M3 which I loved, but got married and the running costs were getting too high to justify. Best engine and fantastic m-diff, loved the sound, space and handling and always felt special. Down side being the boot floor cracks, bushes and springs lasting 30k miles and service costs in four figures.

Changed for a 130i and it has been the best of both, being similar to my old z4 in running costs, not had any reliability issues or warranty work and it is almost as quick as the M3 up to legal road speeds. Doesn't feel as special but easy to drive and doesn't scare the wife like the M3 did.

Had E39 M5, E46 325ci and E90 330i in the past too so had enough of 3 series, but not finding much that I like in the current BMW line up. Prefer N/A over turbo, straight 6 or V8 rather than a 4 pot and has to be manual not flappy paddles or auto. Budget is about £18k for trade in but can be a bit flexible. Only do 8k miles a year mixture of business and pleasure in my car and I have a 120d for longer motorway runs.

Options are:
1. Keep the 130i but get the bmw performance exhaust and induction kit plus a remap and differential to give 280 bhp and the excitement and sound I miss from the M3.

2. Look for a manual e89 3lr N/A with a manual gearbox. (not that many around and the e89 gets a bit of a slating in most of the reviews I have read though none seem to have tested that specific version). Looks like the dealer 30 miles away has one in approved used so I might go for a test drive. Electric handbrake might rule it out, be nice to be back in a roadster though.

3. Wait for a manual 645/650i or 545/550i to turn up on the AUK site or just go for a z4m.

4. Other?
  • Like 29

looked at them and turned down a mint Cecotto when they were £8k, (overpriced now IMO) and too nice to use as a daily driver all year round plus lhd does become a bit of a pain (have tried it for a few months), not that fast by todays standards either.

The standard e30 m3 doesn't really have the power to overcome traction in the dry, 197bhp and some must have gone missing on the ones I've tried, makes overtaking a pain added to the lhd. Great on an empty road but not sure I could live with one as a daily and have to take it out on salty snow covered roads, long waits for spares if someone bumped into you plus rust issues etc. Has to be something that can live outside all year round and ideally only need one visit to the garage a year. The old alpinas of the same era were more fun on the road as they had more torque, same issues with car being off the road waiting on spares though.

:P it's automotive chat, get some more posts up in the girls of club lupo :D

plus there is an option for others if there are any good non-bmw suggestions. R32 Golf might be worth a look for example through shame they never did the bluesport roadster.

Edited by Crusoe

You appear to have confused us with a BMW owners tossers forum.

Oh yeah, forgot it was a lupo/Mazda2/s3 only forum!

Either way, IMO youre best off sticking with the 130i. Or upping the the 135.

Tried the monaro, was a big cruiser and not very sporty. Lot of car to haul around even with 400bhp, the supercharged ones are supposed to be better but don't think I could stand the fuel bills and road tax. Not tried a vxr8 though so it might be a possible on the list, can get a v10 M5 for a similar price though... maybe if I need to get kids in the back.

Or just hire something for two years then give it back. No depreciation issues and give it back needing a service and new tyres and brakes all round. http://www.easternwesternfleetservices.co.uk/company-cars/BMW/M3_Convertible_Limited_Edition_500_DCT/1055/

Few weekends of burning up dealer fuel and I'm back in a Honda s2000. New cars getting a bit too civilized and sensible, what I really wanted was a nice older car, cable throttle, no traction or stability control and 9000rpm :) found a mint 29k mile example at a dealer a few miles down the road for half the maximum budget.