Coilovers

Hi,

Got my coilovers fitted today. Rears aren't on YET.

Basically there is something weird about. It's a GTI with JOM Coilovers.

I didn't put the helper springs in and I ordered from DPM Performance.

I setup the suspension like so:

kuwRZ36.jpg

cimg7070e.jpg

The old part I was talking about^

The part from the old suspension sat on the silver part right above the threads and the silver sort of cup could freely move up and down. I wound the threads up a fair bit but the car is pretty damn low. Ride is really comfortable.

I'm positive that's right as there isn't really any other way to fit them? Done coilovers before on my Polo and everything was fine. I just thought I'd ask to be sure.

Is it just because my helpers are out?

IMG_20130418_152927_zpscde0c1b4.jpg

Obviously the rears aren't done so the car will be a bit lower at the front but can't be anything significant? Rears are going on tomorrow and I will get a picture of where the rings are.

Cheers.

Edited by davidelliott294

What weird, that it's so low? It's probably because you've got the helpers out yes. Dropping the rear should level it out. (well obviously...you know what I mean lol)

Put the helpers back in.

They're there for a reason.

i have the exact same coilovers, left the helpers in, had the rings 40mm from the bottom (where the hub bracket is) and its got the tyres just tucked under the arches on the front, and woudn the rear all the way down and theres a small gap in the arch for the rear, (thinking of taking the adjuster out of the back to get a little bit more lowness.

Edited by Grazza

If you had the helper in still, the adjuster rings would be lower but the car would be at the same height.

Doesnt make a difference if theyre in or out because theyre fully compressed when the cars on the ground anyway.

If you had the helper in still, the adjuster rings would be lower but the car would be at the same height.

But if the adjuster rings were at the same height, the car would be higher, n'est pas?

I'm starting to think they have changed the spring rate on the latest batch of JOMs

Mine are the same height in your picture and mine still have the helpers fitted.

There adjusters are halfway up and it's only just enough to stop the drives shafts hitting even on the smallest bump (I have only a fingers width between the drive shaft and the chassis frame) if I wound them downtown the bottom there's no travel at all as the car sits on the shafts now the springs have settled

Others seem to have them wound to the bottom with no issue, so either they have change the spring strength or my tdi it a hell of a lot heavier on the front than petrol sports

It's so weird and it's really comfortable. The blue Lupo I had (now owned by my brother) has the helpers out and rings right down and it's slightly lower? They are TA Technical though..

My driveshaft knocks the chassis on significant bumps. Doesn't rub on corner though.

Edited by davidelliott294