Permanently open throttle valve

Hey everyone,

Today my little lupo broke down on the way to work. The breakdown guy told me my car had a cold my engine was all bunged up with gunk (I went a couple of months hardly using my car) he cleared it out so be could breathe and run again but told me to take it to a garage to get properly cleaned and flush out and also get my throttle body looked at.

I drove it to a garage and had them do this at the garage they told me my trottle control valve is open permanently and needs replacing which would set me back £371 what does this fault actually mean do? The guy was very vague.

Now I just changed jobs and can't afford it really at the moment, I didn't order the part and the guy didn't seem fused that I was going to be driving my car. Is it alright for me to drive my car for a bit without any damage or danger? (I drive 6 miles each dy for work and 60 miles every other weekend)

I love they way in which you constructed your sentences. Magic.

Anyways take the air box off and if everything moves ok and the revs go as normal then I wouldn't worry to much but I would order the part ie ebay etc. what size engine do you have as I might have the bit here for you to try (i'm breaking loads of stuff the now)

also if you had the car sitting for a few months the old petrol would go stale and choke up everything inside the fuel system. I would keep running and get new fuel asap.

Edited by lewrssll

Thanks for the reply :)

It was never sitting for months on end he got a drive about once a week but compared to the big commute he used to do it was a big cut in the lupos usage.

It's a 1.4 16v engine in my car and he is revving fine and all the parts are moving fine it's just the valve is stuck open.

Hey,

Give it an Italian Tuneup (Basically thrash the arse off it) for half an hour so it's nice and warm. Run the petrol gauge down into the last quarter (Don't let it go into the redline, no need) then fill the tank and perhaps another few minutes of thrashing it. That will clear all the **** out.