Work Horse Arosa tdi

Dblock

i was intrending to get a small filter and vent to atmosphere, the eco nut in me prefers to filter the oil vapours out instead of pumping straight out, also the OCD clean guy in me highly agrees.

that sounds a bit pikey (no offence intended)

Yes true. I'm doing double the miles you are a week so the added Maintence for me would be a pain. I.e. forgetting to empty the catch can and then the crankcase can't vent because it's blocked boom. I was going to fit a catch can but I thought against it.

It is but it's a common trick that works. Alot of "baffled" catch cans have such terrible designs. This way you are making sure all the air is cleaned. The inlet is right next to the outlet so sometimes it doesn't really take long for the air to get out. We need to slow the air down to cool to get the oil oil.

Also give your self long runs of pipe as that will help catch them too.

So as said I fitted my rarb.

Easy to fit, took maybe 30ish mins? Drop links connect where the shock would go from there.

So initial turn in at light/low steering angle feels the same. Not much difference I thought. Could be a placebo but I'm sure the ride is a slight bit firmer at the rear. Only notice when going over a bumpy road though.

So later on driving home on a coastal road. WOW! Turn in is now sharp and it's not like its snatchy or anything it's just going where you want it too. The harder your turn the more the front wheels seem to "dig in" and just grip and pull you through a corner. Really takes the understeery vagueness out. Feels like my old clio now. Really gives you confidence when on a windy road. I'm only on the medium setting but so far I'm very impressed. Made it a really point and shoot car lol. Just need some power now lol!

I got the whiteline kit and it had black bushes which need no grease which is kinda cool. I think this is a no no for you slammers (like you care about performance anyways) as the drop links make the bottom point of the car even lower.

Now i want one too. Do you have an upper strut for the front?

I think this is a no no for you slammers (like you care about performance anyways).

Made me giggle.

Edited by Danyutz

Now i want one too. Do you have an upper strut for the front?

Made me giggle.

No apparently the front top doesn't need it as they are solid anyway. Looked at getting a lower strut brace for the front. Looked good and apparently made a difference to handling but as it's from a 6n the lower plastic tray wouldn't fit if the strut brace was on so I scrapped that.

Also since the ventectomy I can fill the car up properly lol. I can get about 35ish litres in. This is super handy as I do about 100 miles a day and going petrol station is a pain. This gives me an extra day without refuelling.

Excellent progress. I am finding mine loves to oversteer, i'm too used to my Ignis Sport which just wouldn't give at generous speeds, rarb is on the cards for me too, after i got mine remapped, i seem to be getting a bit better miles too

It was an overstock. Only had 1 in stock. It was about £45 for when I got one for my brother.

If you car is oversteering you must be really pushing it to slide.

Since ventocmy I can get about 280miles to a half tank! So cuts my fuel visits down.

Elephant hose mod is great too. You can notice a little smoke if your under the car though but it's just vapour and is normal. The car seems peppier with the cage mod too so all in all very happy.

ventectomy effectively just makes the diesel pump earlier to stop you over filling, but if you let the pump click, then just slowly fill it up does it not just do the same thing?

Not sure about the elephant nose one, will have to look it up... i'm all for mpg btw, haha

No or kinda. It you have to keep venting the tank taking you ages to fill it up fully. I do 100miles a day so getting 1-2 extra days without filing is awesome for me. A great mod for me.

• 2 months later...

I know mate it's really bad. Just not got any time recently. When I clean it I will update it.

It's on 106000 miles now. Doing nearly 700miles a week and hard ones at that,

With the air being colder at night the car feels seriously rapid.

how do you go about the ventectomy? any noticable gains/problems with the elephant hose mod?

My brother is the one who did it's straight forward.

No problems so far. The car seems to run better but it could be placebo. No gunk collecting in the intake now!

• 4 months later...

Update. Coming up to 115k. No problems touch wood.

I have got lazy for a while but I'm putting 2 stroke back in again. Smoothness is back. Plus mpg gains would be nice. Averaging 55mpg which is good at a GPS 70mph pretty hilly aswell. It jumped up since I change the 5th gear so it now sits at 2.1krpm. Silent at 70mph bar road noise.

Next few tank fills in going to bung some acetone in there. Wait that will eat plastics and destroy your car. Chill it's like 1ml per litre. So I'm going to put 40ml's acetone in with the 250ish ml's of 2stroke. Apparently it reduces surface tension allowing better atomisation. It won't hurt anything at the super high dilution ratios il be using plus I'm going to see if mpg and power does increase. 2 stroke bumps my mpg by about 0.5 to mpg usually but it's quiet and smooth. Apparently acetone can add 2-5mpg easily! I don't know about that but it's cheap to try. Will post results after a week or so.

Car is just dirty plus it's dark once I finish work. But yes I need to update this.

Also started drawing on my bonnet with a sharpie for lulz. I can't draw but I kinda like it. I'm thinking about getting different arty people to do a panel

On the car each.

• 1 month later...

Got my audio system fitted but the guy really really arsed it up. So I'm fixing that as I go along.

I have sound deadened the front 2 doors. Have oz comps running off and amp and a 12" diamond d3 with an amp too. Need to use some closed cell foam to stop the boot plastic rattling and the wooden shelf the sub sits on too.

I'm thinking about going to town with some MLV (mass loaded Vinyl) and doing the under seats and arches. Maybe some open type of foam for under the seats as it can be squished down. Something to reduce road noise as it's a mile muncher. But don't want to add too much more weight nor make it a pain to undo.

Car ticked over 116,000. Still running 2 stroke and acetone. I don't really see much or any benefit from the acetone but I bought 5 litres so it's going in anyways. I only need like 20-40ml at a time. But then recently the weather has been warmer etc but on certain days very windy so my mpg is all over the place.

I have ordered engine mounts for my car. 3 all together from ebay as VW prices where too steep. So I'll let you know how I get on with those.

Even with it being slightly warmer my scangauge indicates I need to keep my grill block on still.

• 1 month later...

did you ever fit any dynomat to drown the noise down?...... my 1.0 arosa was as noisy as hell but my 1.4 tdi dont seem too bad. i reckon sound dead pads would be a treat and prob do to my next lupo/ arosa

Dblock, did you ever get round to the elephant mod?

Also whats a ventectomy ?

Edited by Skezza

Dynamat is only to add weight to the panel. Imagine hitting a big bit of metal and it resonating. Now do the same thing but with your hand on the metal. Ideally you need to some mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam. It's been warm so I've had my window open more.

Skezza had my elephant mod for over 30K+ miles.

Ventectomy gets rid of that little green thing in the filler cap. So that allows you to fill up with way more fuel. Diesel hardly expands when heated but petrol expands a lot hence the need of the vent. But once removed because it's not needed on diesel you can get way more fuel in. I went from getting 27-31 litres of fuel in to 37-41 litres of fuel. On a small engine that makes a massive difference. You could argue your carrying an extra 10 litres but with my old job I was doing 100miles a day. I was forever at the petrol station and this mod gave me an extra day of not filling up.