Work Horse Arosa tdi

Dblock

TBH this will probably a very very boring thread as I bought the Arosa to be my work horse as its cheap to run etc etc. But it will help me keep a track of what I'm doing etc.

I've been very surprised how powerful it is etc. For a 1.4 its surprising. Much much nicer on the dual carriage way than my old 'rosa sport. But it's a bit scruffy and needs work doing but its a work in progress.

Pic's are to come but I don't have my camera currently. It's scruffy on the outside and the gearbox linkage seem worn or loose?

Its a red 2003 Seat Arosa tdi.

To do quite soon :

Wash

Clay

Wax

Debadge ( small silver ones on the boot)

Change the headlight bulbs

Get some Car Mats

Change gear knob

Change wiper blades

To do fairly soonish :

Full service just so I know its been done

Oil change

Fuel Filter

K&N air filter (not for any gains but its cheaper to wash and reuse than throw away air filters)

Better tyres or new wheels or both lol!

route ipod cable out

To do later :

Arbs

Change headunit for one with ipod and dab

Fix rusty arches

Remap

Scangauge

stickers maybe?

Pics to follow!

Replace intercooler (standard size)

Make intercooler spray (jdm lulz)

Fit 0.622 5th gear 70mph at 2krpm

Fit a catch can or do the elephant hose mod(will make a thread shortly)

Fit wind deflector (because its hot not because I'm "scene")

Make tyre spats (aero mods)

Get some mini one r81 imola winter wheels (lightweight!)

cage mod

Edited by Dblock

So just ordered :

Oil

Oil filter

Sump plug washer

Fuel Filter

Pollen Filter

Maf Cleaner ( was running low)

Wipers all round

Still to order!

Gearbox oii

17mm hex

fluid pump

air filter

Vactan/rust remedy

Hopefully if I get a chance I will give it a clean and post some pics :thumbup:

Sounds like you have a lot to do! Look forward to seeing it come together :) get some pics

Tell me about it!

So only half my stuff came from t'internet so I'm still waiting on a good few things but I have done lots and lots of research and I will most likely buy an EGR delete kit and I need to take off the inlet and degunk it.

So what have I done so far. Well I cleaned the windows as they where manky. I was going to clean the interior but it was 2am already lol.

So started with this

IMG_1752.jpg

Note the badges and insane amount of swirls. The car mechanically is sound but the body work is terrible! There is alot of rust round the arches and paint peeling off in other places so it will need to be touched up at one point.

I've left the snow foam to dwell for about 5 mins at this point. Also do Arosa's come with the side bump strips or have they removed already? :innocent:

IMG_1764.jpg

So it was snow foamed, rinsed, washed using 2bm, clayed, polished with a rotary and 2 menzerna polishes. Not perfect but I didn't need it to be nor did I have time.

zupetl.jpg

Badges have GONE!! Bit of floss, warm water and a smidge of tardis.

I don't have any before and after pics but its looks like about 60% of the swirls have gone.

145xj6.jpg

The old tax disc holder was massive as it had a parking permit on it. Swapped it for this lol :thumbup::tongueout:

10xqyqx.jpg

A quick interior shot yes I know it needs cleaned and hoovered!

91cjfa.jpg#

My horrible gear stick that I want rid of yuck!!

2h30rwk.jpg

Cleaned up the engine bay as it was proper manky. I should have taken some before pics but it was late at this point. 100 times better now. I just clothed it down I'm not a fan of pressure washing engines. This is half way through.

2cdjwj6.jpg

So did a quick mod. The egr valve is the saucer looking thing. Basically its controlled using vacuum. So I disconnect the pipe plugged it and plugged the egr. Started the car, left it revved it etc no leaks, no EML's. :clap::clap::thumbsup: So then took off the hose again. Measered abit long enough to go on the egr and fit a golf tee. Cut it off the vacuum hose and placed it on the egr and jubliee clamped it. Added the golf tee jubliee again. On the other side I stuck in the golf tee and jubliee clamped it. So the car does feel better without it. I could be a placebo but it does feel slightly perkier.

qzlo9g.jpg

I cabled tied the back pipe to another wire so it wasn't flapping about. Now this will stop the egr working but I still need to clean the inlet manifold.

zmi7ic.jpg

But even when its cleaned the plunger is still a slight block in the inlet tract so I could dremel it out but if I can get a cheap blanking plate and a pipe I'll get it but it's not urgent.

Will be phoning vw about some gearbox oil, check strap and inlet manifold gasket.

By next week hopefully I'll be doing an oil change, gearbox oil change, fuel filter change, pollen filter change and if I get a chance inlet manifold cleaning! :clap:

Oh and I fitted some wipers just now!

looking good bro!

Cheers man! We should have our meet up soon. I'll let you know when I'm free next.

Got a K&N panel filter for £18 brand new!! Not really expecting anything powerwise but its washable so that will save me money in the long run.

Worked out my 1st fill as 54.3mpg. Thats good but I want to get it up. So service 1st and then I want to try to grill blocking to get it to heat up quicker. Remap in the near future too!

...thought I do the MAF

There is 2 torx bolts. Undo them.

IMG_0756.jpg

Take out the MAF carefully.

IMG_0758.jpg

I forgot to take photo's but I used Maplins contact cleaner. I sprayed it all about the sensor. Didn't touch or wipe it though and stuck it back it. Re tightened the bolts done!

Then passenger side of car safely in the air.

IMG_0760.jpg

Underneath you will find 2 bolts. Or 1 in my case.

IMG_0762.jpg

2 bolts on the wheel arch in front of the tyre. These are torx bolts but they will be rusty and mine where already rounded.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

Here is the bottom cap. I couldn't get a good picture up into the engine bay. This picture will show you the location of the 4 bolts you need to undo to get the filter out.

IMG_0769.jpg

This is what your filter will look like. Tight side onto the top part of the airbox and stick on the bottom cap and do it up.

IMG_0770.jpg

Give it a quick clean and stuck the sticker on for the next person or even to remind myself that its washable :yes:

IMG_0771.jpg

So I did the oil filter, oil change, air filter, cleaned the MAF and changed the fuel filter but I didn't take pics of that as I was in a rush at this point.

This isn't a good guide or anything but it could help. But you mess anything up its your fault not mine. :thumbup:

Just noticed those pictures of the bottom of the air box don't sure where the bolts is. You will be lying on your back facing up. To get to them torx bolts you will need a decent length extension bar.

• 2 weeks later...

So routed out the cable thanks to my friend.

Fitted a new cabin filter. Although I think I will go for a carbon one next time. The one I took out was black!

Fitted some HIDs aswells.

Will get some pics up tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

Cleaned the EGR out and some of the inlet manifold. But gave up as it was very hard. Will do all the manifold later, Seems a little more perky though.

Also changed the gearbox oil, a rear bulb and the check strap lol. Pics to come.

• 3 months later...

Need to get some pic still.

So did another oil change as thats 6k miles already!

Changed my calipers and carriers for the 280mm upgrade I know you can do just the carriers but I personally think there is better choice of pad for the cupra caliper plus my old ones where a little scruffy. So that also means I got some 15" wheels. Vinyled my roof. Got some seats from a golf in rhe arosa now too. Camber bolts fitted and its going for its mot soon!

• 3 months later...

Really need to update this with pictures. Need to fit my audio in soon too. Already got my fancy alpine unit in no DAB but works perfect with my iphone and I got the bluetooth module too!

Scangauage needs to be put somewhere permanent too. Will update with 2 stroke oil in fuel findings too.

• 3 months later...

2 stoke working nicely. Just had timing belt done and Allard egr pipe fitted. Cruise control working in it now too. Still bits n pieces to do like the door hinge! It's dropped and need to change the bearing in the drivers side check strap.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's going on 98k. Going strong.

Now I have planned more mods.Some I have bought and some I am researching.

So my to do is

Replace intercooler (standard size)

Make intercooler spray (jdm lulz)

Fit 0.622 5th gear 70mph at 2krpm

Fit a catch can or do the elephant hose mod(will make a thread shortly)

Fit wind deflector (because its hot not because I'm "scene")

Make tyre spats (aero mods)

Get some mini one r81 imola winter wheels (lightweight!)

cage mod

Edited by Dblock

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to my awesome brother got some stuff done on the car today. I can take some pics if anyone wants to see them. Car is in garage getting alignment at the moment.

So cleaned the MAF with contact cleaner. Cleaned the connector plugs with contact cleaner too packed it with the dielectric silicone grease closed it up. Did the same on the inlet temp sensor.

Fitted Climair wind deflectors.

Fitted the whiteline rear arb from Kam racing. Thank you guys!! Not drove it properly as it's in the garage but will review later on. I only put it on medium setting.

Did the elephant mod. More to come on that.

Thank you to st10587 for the pics from seatcupra

P1030540.jpg

My arb looks exactly the same. Not got my car back so can't review it yet.

Another pic from a forum

mafmod006.jpg

Just shove some silicone dielectric grease into the bottom bit with the pins. It will go into the top connector.

One touch does indeed work with the climair deflectors.

Will get some pics of the elephant mod when I get my car back. I ordered some cool red silicone pipe but wasn't happy with the quality of it. So used this horrible clear air line stuff instead. Works a treat but looks gash though lol.

brilliant! thankyou for the pics, the RARB looks ace, i know you havnt tested it yet but im sure it will considerably help in the corners. i know im a pest but im trying to get my head round why packing the electrical connection with dielectric grease is benefiicial, is it preventavive in order to protect the connection?

cheers

Anthony

dont want to hijack youre build but whats youre thoughts on this as a catch can. 1 litre capacity, internally baffled... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBP-Baffled-1-Litre-Square-Bulk-Head-Mount-Oil-Catch-Tank-OBPCT005-/380852429668?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58ac92e364

cheers

Anthony

Basically the maf is a sensitive object. Small changes in voltage can mean big changes to running. Over time Corosion, damp etc can set get in the plug making the signal look different to the ecu. By cleaning and packing with the grease it protects the connectors. Because its grease damp and other stuff can't get in.

You can get a catch can but make sure to empty it as apparently they fill fast on diesels. Would you vent to atmosphere or put it back into the intake?

That catch can isn't cheap! Just buy a cheap one. Open it up fit a pipe into side it from the intake side so it doesn't go straight out the outlet. Pack it with stainless steel scourers. Baffled catch can for less than half price.