Weitec coilover thoughts (help with the rear)

Philtdi30

Had a set of weitec gt coilovers fitted to my car this week. Quality of the kit is very good and has transformed the look of the car. Driven the car a few times over the weekend and well not 100% convinced I can live with the ride quality. Handling and turning through the bends is superb reminds me of driving cars I've had that were great for example my integra type r. Can't fault the improvement in this aspect.

The ride is firm yes but it feels like the rear setup that's not right or to firm as the car feels like it skips/ bounces poor road surfaces. It seems to send the bump from the back to front of car. Opened the boot and used my weight simulate load or going over a bump and there is very little travel had expected a fair bit more to be honest. The front feels acceptable. Had a look at the adjuster cups and there is still more than half of the threads left. So I can lower these alot more. The springs are very compressed at the top 4x rings are together at the top if this makes sense. If I were to lower the adjuster would this allow the spring to expand as it has more room and is not so compressed?

How do you adjust the rear?

Can this be done on the car without taking the rear setup to bits?

Also would this make the rear ride improve.

Apologies for any silly questions any help advice with the above question appreciated.

Thanks

Because of the separate shock & spring setup on the rear of lupos/arosas you won't make much difference to the spring compression by adjusting it, by raising it you'll gain more travel on the shocks though. They can be adjusted on the car, it's just a case of jacking up the corner, getting on your back & getting to work with a c spanner. It's pretty fiddly & will probably involve some swearing :lol: I'll probably take them off when I come to drop mine again tbh. I have weitecs too btw, I'm dropped about 40mm from standard atm (winter mode!) and the handling is about perfect.

thanks for the reply Koop good to get feedback from someone who also has these fitted. Am Running a similar height also don't really want to lower the car to much as I like the look the way it sits currently and don't want to make the ride even more harsh by boing so.

How long have you had these on your car and how do you find the ride comfort/Quality? agree the handling is spot on though. Am hoping they will settle over time and become a bit more forgiving. Maybe I am been to critical to quickly as am used to driving round around in a people carrier taxing the kids around. Plus the original lupo suspension was very soft and forgiving.

Think I will give it six months or so to see how I get on then review it hopefully they will grow on me, if am still not 100% happy may look to go for some koni/blistien dampers and springs setup for more comfort and take the coilovers off.

Thanks

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I have them on mine, after a while they settle down, I would say as long as you don't go too low they are fine for everyday use, I have done about 2000 miles since I fitted mine.

I have poly bushes on all the suspension along with the white line rear arb and a lower front stru brace.

Smooth roads ride is excellent, motorway driving can get a bit bouncy around 70 if it is a poor surface, above that speed (private road) the suspension is a massive improvement over standard, I tend to drive this more now than my company car!

B roads there is very little if any body roll, the car will under steer on cold tyres, and when pressing lift of over steer is now available on request!

I find handling is best with the original alloys, I have 15 and 25mm spacers that I experimenting with on the rear axel.

I have had 16x7 and 15x8 wheels on the car dose not feel as good to drive, can't say why just my opinion.

Bit of a ramble but if you need anything else let me know

I really like how mine drives on 16s actually. It's still pretty bumpy though :lol: I've had them on about a year now, at first it was pretty decked, bouncy but liveable (and I have a bad back - think my Mk4 seats have saved me though!), since I've raised it it doesn't feel that much stiffer than my mate's standard A3 sport for example, except in terms of absorbing bumps - as if the springs are a similar stiffness but the shocks are much stiffer. A shock/spring setup would be more comfortable, especially if you go for gas shocks with adjustable ride e.g. Spax.