What is the pipe from the cam cover to the air box for?

Rickpercy87

its your oil breather pipe i believe, i had a massive issue with this a while ago, I bought a new pipe from halfords, proper wedged it on my airbox (won't come off) and is jubilee clipped on the cover. no problems since

Was yours leaking oil into the engine bay? I've lost probably a litre of oil in 100 miles. Its dripping all over the gearbox, too.

its your oil breather pipe i believe, i had a massive issue with this a while ago, I bought a new pipe from halfords, proper wedged it on my airbox (won't come off) and is jubilee clipped on the cover. no problems since

Edited by Rickpercy87

Cheers mate, ill get another pipe tomorrow.

Did you find out what the problem was with the pipe originally?

The pipe had been removed and put back on several times by a heavy fisted wannabe mechanic and just stretched and eventually split the pipe completely, it just kept blowing off and spitting oil everywhere. Measure the diameter of the little raised part on your cover, try and find a pipe a tad smaller, the more effort it takes to put it on, the harder it will be to come off

The pipe had been removed and put back on several times by a heavy fisted wannabe mechanic and just stretched and eventually split the pipe completely, it just kept blowing off and spitting oil everywhere. Measure the diameter of the little raised part on your cover, try and find a pipe a tad smaller, the more effort it takes to put it on, the harder it will be to come off

Cheers, i'll check mine tomorrow. Mine is coming off from the air box end. Do you know why the cam cover would get to high pressures enough to spit oil out?

Not really no, I'm not 100% on how it works or why it's needed, just that its an oil breather pipe and its bad news if it comes off! :P

It doesnt have to go back into the box.... You can use an oil catch can (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC0&_nkw=oil+catch+can&_sacat=0&_from=R40) to catch the oil coming out of the breather. AND! you can get one the same colour as your motor and Bobs yer uncle! :thumbup:

The pipes should only really have oil vapors coming our of them, if oil is literary pissing out of them, chances are you have a blockage in the CCV system, it's been a while since iv been near a Lupo but follow all the pipes back and they should lead behind the back if the block to a black box.

Remove that box, there's 3 6mm Allen bolts IIRC, clean it all out, will probably be blocked with oily gunky sludge.

Refit it all and see if the oil has stopped spitting out of the pipes.

It's been 4 years so sorry if its a little vague but it should point you in the right direction.

Don't forget to update the thread with your findings.

The pipes should only really have oil vapors coming our of them, if oil is literary pissing out of them, chances are you have a blockage in the CCV system, it's been a while since iv been near a Lupo but follow all the pipes back and they should lead behind the back if the block to a black box.

Remove that box, there's 3 6mm Allen bolts IIRC, clean it all out, will probably be blocked with oily gunky sludge.

Refit it all and see if the oil has stopped spitting out of the pipes.

It's been 4 years so sorry if its a little vague but it should point you in the right direction.

Don't forget to update the thread with your findings.

I'll give this a try! Would you think leaking oil all over the gearbox could knacker it? Ever since this leak the gearbox has made a grindy whining noise.

I may get some time to have a look today. I'll probably completely overlook the black box they all lead to and return with pictures of what I think it may be lol.

It doesnt have to go back into the box.... You can use an oil catch can (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC0&_nkw=oil+catch+can&_sacat=0&_from=R40) to catch the oil coming out of the breather. AND! you can get one the same colour as your motor and Bobs yer uncle! :thumbup:

I could do with one which feeds the oil straight back into the cam cover :thumbsup:

It's not the CCv pipe, that leads to the crank case, hence the name CCv. This one goes to the cam cover, it's the breather for the cam cover, it going to have oil coming out as the cam cover does fill with oil.

Ok so I removed the breather pipe (one from the cam cover to the airbox) and gave it a good clean. It wasn't clogged up or anything but at least it is clean, now.

The pipe was spitting ever so slightly on start up when it was sitting low down, but now it is cleaned and raised higher it does not spit. *it only ever spit when the engine was warm and the car was started* When I tested this.

It seems that was not the main cause of the oil leak. It has only happened since I renewed the oil to 10w 40 semi synthetic, I'm not sure what was used before this but it must have been thicker. So my guess is it is leaking from the head or block somewhere small which a thicker oil could not penetrate. I'll also add that the oil was very low for the first few days when it WASN'T leaking. It was at the minimum level. So maybe it will leak oil until it gets to a specific level and then stop altogether?

I cannot see where the oil originates from, except it seems like it is at the back of the engine between the EGR valve and throttle body and is originating quite high up.

My first guess was the cylinder head but I am getting no strange colours from the exhaust and the coolant is not bubbling or anything.

The oil looks clean and does not appear to have any water mixed in with it.

-I could do with getting a better look at the back of the engine but the throttle body is in the way, is it difficult to remove the entire throttle body so I can get a good look?

IMG_20130413_113706_zps82a7c236.jpg

The red circle is where the oil pools onto the gearbox and then trickles underneath and onto the ground

Could any of the pipes on the green circle have oil in them? I'm sure it is just coolant but asking just incase

I have a feeling the leak will be somewhere within this area higher up in the engine (yes the EGR pipe is removed thats another story lol)

I circled this to ask if it is easy to remove this throttle body including all those pipes around it to get a good look in behind.

To summarise, I still have the leak. I'd rather not change to a thicker oil if I don't have to. But would this actually stop the leak considering it didn't leake before the oil change? Oh the Oil filter was changed aswell at the same time as the oil but it is not leaking from there.

Edited by Rickpercy87