snapped bonnet cable

kieran94

i have found in the past that it helps to have a mate lean on the bonnet slightly as you pull the cable, and then pull up the bonnet in the normal way. the release of pressure on the cable seems to do the job and the bonnet catch will usually open. doesn't work every time so good luck. geoff

a good pair of mole grips on the cable usually helps too, saves your fingers!!

the only thing i could think of is to have a look at another lupo and see how the catch works, ie if i put a welding rod in here and pull will it release? it may take some time but it will be possible. think like a cable if that makes sense

i have found in the past that it helps to have a mate lean on the bonnet slightly as you pull the cable, and then pull up the bonnet in the normal way. the release of pressure on the cable seems to do the job and the bonnet catch will usually open. doesn't work every time so good luck. geoff

This! Works for me everytime, and I have quite a sticky bonnet release.

You should definately try this first as it's quickest and simplest.

Failing that remove the grille and try pull the remaining cable with a pair of needle nose pliers or similar.

If that doesn't work get under the car, remove engine shields etc and reach up between front of radiator and vehicle body to release latch. This option is most awkward and time consuming though so try other 2 first!

Oh and when you do get it open give the latch mechanism a good grease, this is a common reason they get stuck on many cars, they get stiff. It's all about preventative maintenance!

Or if your cable has actually snapped it'll need replaced obviously.

Tried "bouncing" the car by pushing on the bonnet whilst pulling the cable that's hanging out your grille? Should release if I understand your description properly.... Otherwise it sounds like your latch is well and truly buggered.

Edited by sam_vr6