Beware of this car

Dblock

I found this car. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-SEAT-AROSA-1-4-TDI-DIESEL-SILVER-LONG-TAX-AND-MOT-BARGAIN-LIKE-VW-POLO-/321098348928?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ac2f3f980 seems nice the owner seemed ok etc.

Turns out the owner didnt tell me its a cat D and its to be expected on an 11 year old car? What a prat IMO. First he denied it and then he admitted its a cat d but said its to be expected and its my fault that I did the HPi check and him not listing it is fair and right. The plate is GX02 LPK.

Hope no one buys this thinking its straight. Get a good discount if you want it :thumbsup:

Has it been repaired? Problem? :S

Yeah. If I was selling a Cat D I would state its a CAT D its just the nice thing to do IMO. If he stated its a cat d at a cheaper price I'd still go and look at it but the sneaky way its not listed I think isnt right.

The problem is the book price is heavily effected and while it's not up to the owner to say it's cat D he's tried to deny it when it has been brought up. Always HPI check, for the sake of a few quid it could save you a lot of hassle

Agree with the lying part, but the car is still intact, cat d wouldn't have been any major damage.
Might just be from my point of view, my car is a 2 time cat d write off and every ones had a go at hitting it to the point now my neatest body part is the mirror cover, but hey thats how i got it :)
i always break out into storys, i like storys

Agree with the lying part, but the car is still intact, cat d wouldn't have been any major damage.

Might just be from my point of view, my car is a 2 time cat d write off and every ones had a go at hitting it to the point now my neatest body part is the mirror cover, but hey thats how i got it :)

i always break out into storys, i like storys

Thats not the problem but one if you hide it and 2 if you dont change the price IMO accordingly its not right. It could have been tiny amount of damage? I think maybe from the back because of the lupo lights but they guy wasnt honest so how can you trust what he says.

• Like 1

The point is that Insurers will potentially increase the premium while definitely reducing any kind of payout in the event of an accident.

It's also downright rude and dishonest.

I would say that the car is priced very competitively, if it wasn't a Cat D. As a Cat D, I think it should be reduced. All I hope is someone checks with insurance before buying.

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 2

I once looked at a arosa. The pivtures looked great and the spec was good. However the car was a dog. Paint work was poor which showed it had undeclaired accident damage. It had been repaired well but what showed it was the poor paint work. It also need a full service and new tyres soon and minor bits (check straps etc). The car eventually sold up north somewhere.

Nice to know, but knowing the Cat D I reckon it looks OK.

If you are serious; Offer £1,250, and only insure it 3rd party. Guy on SVAG bought a Cat D and the insurer allowed him to insure it fully comp, but when he went to claim later, they said as it had already been a write off, they wouldn't pay out again.

There's a few Cat Ds on here that people don't know about and every one raves about them. Philplops old GTI for one.

...and of course, although the guy knows it's a Cat D; maybe he doesn't know what work has been done. But he should mention it in the advert as it will affect the inurance for whoever buys it.

+1. Tbh if he admitted it in the advert and dropped the price it would be worth it but the sneaky way of not saying its a car d is just sneaky and someone might buy the car without checking it and they are left with a car that isn't worth anything like what they paid for it. If he lied about that has it been clocked or ever serviced?

Ive always stuck with the nice people sell nice cars and that usually works well.

In an insurers eyes they will smack on a rate for the fact it is a Cat D and brokers have immediate access to find that out. Also if the someone buys this car and insures it without knowing that it was a Cat D, the new owner will be the one in the **** and be fined, technically driving an uninsured car etc. Just common courtesy. You wouldn't sell a Laptop and claim it's in perfect working order when it doesn't have windows or any operating system on it or has been a refurb

In an insurers eyes they will smack on a rate for the fact it is a Cat D and brokers have immediate access to find that out. Also if the someone buys this car and insures it without knowing that it was a Cat D, the new owner will be the one in the **** and be fined, technically driving an uninsured car etc. Just common courtesy. You wouldn't sell a Laptop and claim it's in perfect working order when it doesn't have windows or any operating system on it or has been a refurb

Yeah exactly. I might ask the seller a question about it, see what he says. I can't tell from the photos where the damage was, but that isn't the point to be honest.

Edited by Skezza

Just to clear up some myths and misinformation here.. You can still insure a cat d car and invariably it's not a required disclosure that the insurer needs to know about when you take the policy out. It's up to you to ensure that the car is safe, legal, roadworthy etc and the insurers will just assume on good faith (fundamental insurance principal) that this is the case. A cat D can be returned to the road immediately with a new mot assuming its roadworthy etc. It is not illegal and you wouldn't be fined etc. Also, an insurer will still pay out and whilst they all have their own way of reaching a market value for previous write offs, generally on and older car like this you're looking at salvage (not the same as 'scrap' weigh in) value and trade value. That's not a hard and fast rule though, I've known insurers to write off brand new cars before just because of parts delays (increases car hire costs etc) so clearly each car SHOULD be valued on its own merits. Always worth disputing with the insurer and FSA etc if you don't feel it to be fair, the insurer must be able to document and support their position and clearly even a cat D car isn't worthless which is what an insurer would be saying by not paying out. I've worked in the insurance industry for nearly 10 years now and I believe all of this information to be accurate but of course always check with your own insurer if in doubt.

Regarding the original point of this thread though - yes it's very dishonest and I disagree with the way that he has withheld information that he is clearly aware of.

• Like 1

i always thought the seller is under no obligation to declare previous accident damage, buyer beware and all that, BUT if asked the direct question about previous damage then they must be honest, if not then is it not fraud?

whatever the situation its always the buyer who needs to be careful, and do their homework

Edited by electricracer
  • Like 1

Just to clear up some myths and misinformation here.. You can still insure a cat d car and invariably it's not a required disclosure that the insurer needs to know about when you take the policy out. It's up to you to ensure that the car is safe, legal, roadworthy etc and the insurers will just assume on good faith (fundamental insurance principal) that this is the case. A cat D can be returned to the road immediately with a new mot assuming its roadworthy etc. It is not illegal and you wouldn't be fined etc. Also, an insurer will still pay out and whilst they all have their own way of reaching a market value for previous write offs, generally on and older car like this you're looking at salvage (not the same as 'scrap' weigh in) value and trade value. That's not a hard and fast rule though, I've known insurers to write off brand new cars before just because of parts delays (increases car hire costs etc) so clearly each car SHOULD be valued on its own merits. Always worth disputing with the insurer and FSA etc if you don't feel it to be fair, the insurer must be able to document and support their position and clearly even a cat D car isn't worthless which is what an insurer would be saying by not paying out. I've worked in the insurance industry for nearly 10 years now and I believe all of this information to be accurate but of course always check with your own insurer if in doubt. Regarding the original point of this thread though - yes it's very dishonest and I disagree with the way that he has withheld information that he is clearly aware of.

I contacted the seller, he was abusive straight away and skirted around it being a Cat D and saying he wouldn't trust anyone who does a HPI check which I found funny.

As you said he insurance premium isn't gaurentted to go up for Cat D as such. It's dependable on the insurer and more of a case of some insurance companies won't insure Cat D cars as of T's & C's. If they do payout, you will get Cat D payout, and the car will most likely be written off the second time round. Just is never nice as this chap who is selling the car is falsely advertising this car and your expected to drive it, I wouldn't trust its repaired to a high standard etc. Just not one to touch by that's my view. Got my Lupo on an 03 reg at the same price. Plus he says it does 80mpg... :glare: I'd have to see it to believe it lol

If he was a dealer this is technically illegal,as not disclosing it being cat D he can be prosecuted under the sale of goods act which still applies to used cars if purchased or reported to trading standards.

But as it looks like its a private sale it's not applicable.

However you still have limited rights as buyer, as if its not disclosed and you find it's Cat D (and have evidence of not being disclosed at time of sale - ie a copy of the original advert) your entitled to sue the seller to loss of value throught the civil courts. But in reality will such a low value it's not worth the hassle or stress of doing this.

It's always worth doing a HPI check so your buying with your eyes open

• Like 1

If you feel that strongly about it report him to ebay, I'm sure they'd make him either amend his advert or remove it.

Hmm might be an idea. Its only because I thought of buying this car that I HPI'd it otherwise it looks like a decent buy.

I contacted him and asked and was told

alloys good tyres good, no accidents, full mot history, cambelt change august 2012, £1600

So now he's lying about it too. Fraud. Report him.