Gearbox noise under deceleration in 5th

Iv'e just noticed my car makes a strange noise under deceleration (whilst in gear and coasting with the clutch left up as if I am engine breaking). I wouldn't say it is a whining noise.

It's more of a scraping/rubbing noise which is very muted. I have read the pinion bearing could be at fault. However most of the scenarios were with a whining gearbox.

I have only just bought the car, it has been very poorly serviced unfortunately :( Could it be something as simple as the transmission oil as I have also read these gearboxes are prone to leaks (looking under the gearbox there is definitely some oil there) I am also suspicious as to whether there is ANY transmission fluid at all. As it's the only car iv'e drove other than my instructors it's hard to distinguish if any thing is normal or not.

-Could anyone point me to a tutorial on draining/replacing the transmission fluid?

-What could this gearbox noise be?

Edited by Rickpercy87

the noise could be the shell that the release bearing sits on i believe this model has one like my 1.4s changed my gear box and the small alli sleeve for the release bearing was snapped from the gearbox and turning with the release bearing. and look on the front of your gearbox there are 2 alen bolts look about 8mm could be torq top on fill bottom one empty use a funnel and tube hold it above the whole so the oil is pushed down the pipe

On my 1.0ltr it has two 17mm Allen bolts on the front of the box. take out a wheel nut and put in hole, use a 17mm spanner on the part of bolt left potruding from the box Allen bolt, unscrew (top one), i used a gearbox oil pump sourced from ebay (few quid) to pump correct oil into hole until it is full (starts pouring out) do it all back up.

That is what i was told to do, and done the trick on my last 3 lupo/arosa. definitely worth doing as they have weak boxes.

To drain i guess you just undo through bottom one first, let it drain, do it up then use the top to fill??

the noise could be the shell that the release bearing sits on i believe this model has one like my 1.4s changed my gear box and the small alli sleeve for the release bearing was snapped from the gearbox and turning with the release bearing. and look on the front of your gearbox there are 2 alen bolts look about 8mm could be torq top on fill bottom one empty use a funnel and tube hold it above the whole so the oil is pushed down the pipe

On my 1.0ltr it has two 17mm Allen bolts on the front of the box. take out a wheel nut and put in hole, use a 17mm spanner on the part of bolt left potruding from the box Allen bolt, unscrew (top one), i used a gearbox oil pump sourced from ebay (few quid) to pump correct oil into hole until it is full (starts pouring out) do it all back up.

That is what i was told to do, and done the trick on my last 3 lupo/arosa. definitely worth doing as they have weak boxes.

To drain i guess you just undo through bottom one first, let it drain, do it up then use the top to fill??

Cheers fellas, iv'e seen this tutorial here http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/78608-how-to-guide-how-to-change-gearbox-oil-on-14s/

It is for the 1.4 but I gather they are the same process?

I'll keep yous posted, I might end up getting it done at a garage yet as I don't think I have the tool to open it. Is that why you said take a wheel nut?