Clubman Cooper S - Replacement for the Lupo

DarkStryder360

Nice! De-chrome it please.

Can I see a pic of the dash please.

I will have to get back on the Photoshopping (or go a step further and 3D model it...)

img5650jt.jpg

Will you be modifying this one? ^_^

Oh yes! But from the looks of parts for the car, already its pricey so its going to be a slow process :(

Some snaps in the Essex snow!

img5734k.jpg

img5707b.jpg

img5754sp.jpg

Thanks. I love the Clubman (even though they seem to have mixed up the names of the Clubman and Countryman), but I'm not sure I could live with the interior.

Look forward to seeing you progress.

The interior is an acquired taste across the board, especially with the speedo in the centre of the vehicle - but I did find today that I could change the small display in the rev counter to show my current MPH. Which helps going through Speed Cameras!

That looks ace! That red roof looks like it's velvet in that 'shop.

Glad to see all the chrome gone. I read some de-chroming tips on a Mini forum yesterday. "Plasticoat" could come in handy.

There's a black and red Mini Clubman near me, maybe a JCW. I 'll see if I can get some sneaky pic's.

That looks ace! That red roof looks like it's velvet in that 'shop.

Glad to see all the chrome gone. I read some de-chroming tips on a Mini forum yesterday. "Plasticoat" could come in handy.

There's a black and red Mini Clubman near me, maybe a JCW. I 'll see if I can get some sneaky pic's.

Ooo please do. Really wanted a JCW but they're silly expensive - and rare.

Looks as if you have done more research than me haha! De-chroming though will be necessary.

From reading I think many bits like grill and headlight trims are available off the shelf, but the things which you cannot get are the fuel filler, door handles and the chrome waste strip.

Many mention using 1/2" 3M satin black tape to mask the waste strip and "pasticoating" the fuel filler\door handles.

I have looked at these so many times as I really like the overall car, but the dash\interior design puts me off. I'm OK with the central speedo as I have had a "real" Mini or two.

What Silver has said is true, there's some stuff you can find off the shelves but to get the chrome off others you'll have to get them painted.

About the interiour, you either hate it or love it, I think it looks cool even though the quality is not top notch, but no car is perfect... I just enjoy driving mine as that's what they do best :)

A breadvan?

Now a Clubvan may suit my needs nicely. Hmmm...

And actually when I was a child, our baker delivered our bread in a Mini Van, Not a VW. So this is more true than a Mk1/2/3 Polo.

• 1 month later...

BTW, if the car has more than 20k miles get the fuel filter changed ASAP :thumbsup:

It is 50k miles... Would it not come under the Service at any point before I picked the thing up? Also any reason to get it changed? Seems ok, well its better than the Lupo so anythings an improvement!

plasticoat is amazing! did my wingmirror in it for a temporary thing and it was great!

So my overly priced Plasti Dip arrived! Got a chance today to have a go at it. Prepped my parts!
img7314tp.jpg
Got through 1 and half cans of the stuff, lucky I bought 2.. I haven't attempted spraying before, so it was an effort. Wasted a lot of it, but it was fun to just peel off and start again without consequence. Not too keen on the Headlight surrounds, matte black compared to the paint that looks Navy in extreme light... Maybe it will look better in the dark.
Also the chrome line at the bottom really stands out now :(
img7325xg.jpg
img7327q.jpg
img7329a.jpg
img7331py.jpg
Also, purchased R99's JCW Aero rear kit - coming Thursday!
Edited by DarkStryder360

It is 50k miles... Would it not come under the Service at any point before I picked the thing up? Also any reason to get it changed? Seems ok, well its better than the Lupo so anythings an improvement!

It is not recognized as something which needs changing, so BMW will never change it when servicing the car (they say the filter is for life).

The thing is, a few cars have had problems with the petrol pump dying and they are all related to the fuel filter being clogged up. This is covered under warranty in the United States but not in Europe, so you are better off changing the filter yourself. The filter itself costs about 50 euro's from BMW (can't get replacement ones) and the pump is about 700 euro's... it does make sense changing it every 20 - 25.000 miles lol

There are how-to guides all over the internet, but if you don't find any, I can tell you how to do it. Did it in my car and it was really straight forward!

Edited by Blue Loop

Ooo ok then I have just been reading about it. Someone's Clubman bill nearly came to £3,000 to replace the part after labour... Then another guy got his fixed for £150 due to getting as much evidence as he could to show that the fault is common. Think I will do my research on it see if it is more common R53, than the R55/56.

Ooo ok then I have just been reading about it. Someone's Clubman bill nearly came to £3,000 to replace the part after labour... Then another guy got his fixed for £150 due to getting as much evidence as he could to show that the fault is common. Think I will do my research on it see if it is more common R53, than the R55/56.

PM Pete, he works on these every day.

• 5 months later...