Brake conversion from drums to discs...

DK16V

Hi! I have upgraded my frontbrakes on my Lupo to Gti ones.

Now I want to upgrade the rear brakes...

How much do i need? Anyone done this conversion?

When looking for calipers can i use the ones from a Golf/Polo?

(My Lupo has ABS)

I know the easiest way is to buy a used rear axle...but that is not a option.

Edited by DK16V

you have to use the gti / sport rear axle as the caliper mountings are cast onto the axle. i looked into this conversion for my daughters loop and ended up putting in the whole axle from a 1.4s . its actually quicker to change the whole axle than it is to remove all the backing plates etc. but thats pointless cos when you get down to it theres nothing to fasten your brakes to! why don't you want to change your existing axle then?

oh i forgot , the abs will just plug in,, hows that for simples?

you have to use the gti / sport rear axle as the caliper mountings are cast onto the axle. i looked into this conversion for my daughters loop and ended up putting in the whole axle from a 1.4s . its actually quicker to change the whole axle than it is to remove all the backing plates etc. but thats pointless cos when you get down to it theres nothing to fasten your brakes to! why don't you want to change your existing axle then?

Is it a big job? Is it noticeable? Usually in small fwd cars the rears do very little braking, but drums are rubbish. Although I bet it looks much better.

jobs a doddle, took me longer to jack up the car. if i remember rightly theres four bolts hold in the axle at the front, disconnect the shocks disconnect the brake lines either side the axle's out. then you put the new axle in. the only thing is you cant use 13^ wheels anymore. and yes it looks a whole lot better

• Like 1

jobs a doddle, took me longer to jack up the car. if i remember rightly theres four bolts hold in the axle at the front, disconnect the shocks disconnect the brake lines either side the axle's out. then you put the new axle in. the only thing is you cant use 13^ wheels anymore. and yes it looks a whole lot better

Awesome cheers :thumbs:

GeoffD:> It's because the Gti and sport model were never on vw's program here in Denmark so it is impossible to get a hold of one...

I've looked into Etka and it looks like the plate holding the calipers are a sparepart.