How low can you go before chassis notching is necessary?

audiocandy

Hi just fitted my spring alloy wheels which are 15" Wheel on 165/50/15 Tyres my concern is how low can I go on front coilovers before chassis notching is necessary? My concern is as how safe it is on deeps and bumps in the road when traveling at speed on motor way :( ? before drive shaft hits or lower sump hit the ground :) tips and tricks please thanks....

Edited by audiocandy

Cheers Pete for comment I dont suppose you have any pics of your ride with a side profile to guess the gap between the arch/wheel if on same tyres etc.. ,guess its just trial and error then :) How dangerous is it if driving at high motor way speeds just as there is a large dip bounce in the road on my daily drive and little worried difficult to avoid :( think I need air!. Will it hit the roof arch lining before the driveshaft hits ? Is there anything else I should be concerned about with a massive front drop like beaching on speed humps or any damage to under carriage to look out for :( thanks

I'm on air myself so can't really help with pics, but as long as you have clearance for a decent dip of the suspension you should be ok. It all depends on coilovers you have really, compression rates etc, and with wheels and tyre clearance in the arches, again it depends on your setup.

Okay cheers for advice love air setup myself ive been debating about it for a while bring a more practual life with a switch of a button so tempting :) Im running KW Inox Variant-1 Coilovers at moment ,,I have to see how pans out tomo when take it out for a run :)

Sorry for all questions just used to running larger rims which provide more ground clearance :thumbsup: ....

Would like to get the rear a little lower all so ive taken the rear adjusters out and still want a little more ,,difficult to find a rear spring thats low enough for the Lupo :(

Edited by audiocandy

Have a look at deadmetal's build thread cos he just got custom rears. He says which company he got them from and which dampening rates he used.

As for the drive shaft I'd be weary about running it at a height where it the drive shaft was getting a hammering cos i've read of folk snapping it. Just do as Pete says and lower it to where it makes contact, then raise it a few turns :)

• Like 1

You don't need to worry too much on 15s, mine was nuff low on the front with 165/50/15s.

As Pete said, I've got custom rear springs on my lupo, all the details are in my build thread.
On the front, I don't have any drive shaft problems and the tyre rub on the arch liners.

You can go pretty damn low on 15s and not have any problems.