Which Lupo?

Rickpercy87

Hello, Iv'e been perving on this forum for a few weeks now :wave:

I have a crash course booked for next week and hopefully will pass my test :D

I really want a lupo or arosa for my first car. I'm am torn between the 1.4 tdi and 1.4 sport. I have considered the One litres but that will just frustrate me within weeks because of the lack of power.

My question to you aficionados is what should I get?!

-Insurance on both is practically the same

-Tax is a major difference

-I doubt i'll be travelling too much on the motorways (I have no reason to do so other than if I go on holiday maybe)

-Price difference is almost £1,000 between the sport version and tdi version

-Most of my travelling will be less than 20 minutes each way

-Diesel is more expensive

-Diesel seems much easier to drive

-If I got a tdi I would remap it

-Diesel much better MPG

I'm hoping you guys who have had experience with either or both of these cars can help me decide. One thing I am not so clear on is what the MPG would be like running the car from a cold start. I have heard that the diesel takes 10 minutes to heat up and up to then the MPG will be drastically reduced. This sounds a little pessimistic to me. Can anyone clarify how long the diesel and petrol takes to warm up?

Thankoooo

Richard

If money isn't an option and you are going to remap it anyhow, I reckon the TDI.

If however you are going to just "show off" around town and do the odd trip, maybe a Sport will suit your pocket better.

My Polo Dune 1.4TDi does take quite a while to warm up and sounds like a bag of nails until it does reach a good temp.

I had an opportunity to get a Tdi with 66k miles on it for 2k. Standard in mint condition but didn't have a cambelt change in its life! I didn't buy it because of this and then it sold for almost £2,300 in the end :(

How much are you selling yours for, mate?

Done the diesel thing. Never again. Thats my personal preference though.

1.7 sdi is a pig. Only experienced the 1.4 in an Arosa, but to be fair it was quite nippy.

If you can live with the sound and black smoke then get the diesel.

How much you asking for?

How much you asking for?

after £3000 with the bbs and £2500 bring your own wheels will pm you some pics if you like??

Diesels aren't that noisy an d mine deffo dosen't smoke!

after £3000 with the bbs and £2500 bring your own wheels will pm you some pics if you like??

Diesels aren't that noisy an d mine deffo dosen't smoke!

A bit out of my budget. Looks lovely though I'm just too cheap for a car that nice :lol:

If you're only doing short trips & not much motorway driving the petrol sport will probably suit you better. You'd have to run the diesel a few years to make back the extra outlay in tax & mpg. They're holding their value a lot better atm though.

Done the diesel thing. Never again. Thats my personal preference though.

1.7 sdi is a pig. Only experienced the 1.4 in an Arosa, but to be fair it was quite nippy.

If you can live with the sound and black smoke then get the diesel.

:rolleyes:

Sounds as though you're best going for the 1.4 E or S. It is a bit nippier than the TDi round town, and if you aren't doing motorway miles then MPG isn't going to bother you I guess. Also, you can grab yourself a 1.4 S for quite cheap. There is one for sale near me for £650 with 90k miles on. The equivalent TDi S will be going for double, if not triple that.

Just beware, the 1.0 Lupo/Arosa is considered more first car'ish. I know you said you'd get bored of a 1.0 but they handle well enough and aren't too fast for a novice so to speak. If you do go for a 1.4, don't drive it like a **** because you'll probably be the first of your mates going in a ditch. Have you actually checked your insurance? Got solid quotes to speak? I'd say you should expect higher insurance premiums, so don't come on here posting "why is my insurance so high?", risky driver in a risky car (as opposed to the 1.0 or diesel). :thumbsup:

I wouldn't go for a 1.4 Sport, Insurance Group 12 I think. The 1.4 standard is a pretty nice motor mate.

Edited by Skezza

In your situation I also vote for the petrol over the diesel.

A 1.4 Sport would be a very nice first car. You are not likely to keep a diesel long enough to save the extra money spent. Especially if you are only doing relatively short trips.

I don't think oil burners score you many scene points either.

Sport's only group 6 afaik, wasn't much more to insure over the S.

In your situation I also vote for the petrol over the diesel.

A 1.4 Sport would be a very nice first car. You are not likely to keep a diesel long enough to save the extra money spent. Especially if you are only doing relatively short trips.

I don't think oil burners score you many scene points either.

Agreed. If you buy a diesel, you need to be doing long trips and in it for the long term, especially considering the difference in initial price. Diesels are pretty costly, and unless you're lucky, you will pay over the odds.

No idea about Lupo oil burners but my mate has a 306 Turbo which has been performance upgraded to run at 150Bhp, and its hellishly cool and damn fast!

Diesels lack soul.

What you want to see is the red needle bouncing at 6,5k rpm not 4k.

Lol come off it Silver :) It all depends on what you need your car to do. I do miss my petrol Lupo desperately, but I can't help but say I enjoy driving my new one equally as much. It's fun, it's cheap and

Sport's only group 6 afaik, wasn't much more to insure over the S.

Pretty sure a Lupo Sport was nearer group 12, but if you can get it for Group 6 money then go for it!!

I bought my 05 tdi for £2600. Best buy I ever made. Saved a fortune in tax, fuel etc and it's pretty quick (by comparison), torquey and can overtake when you need it to. It certainly won't disappoint on the speed front for a first car. Its my second (after a 1.3 spi mk3 polo). The tdi will save you money overall but that's your shout. But just think of this...

When I went to and from ultimate dubs it cost me £40 ish worth of diesel and I got 60mpg (not going slow most of the time either o.O). At some of the points where I was cruising at 50mph, I was probably getting around 65+. For a petrol car to do the same journey at 30/35mpg it'd cost what, £20 more?

Would I go back petrol? Damn right as a weekend car for some fun. But for the driving I do, diesel is well suited and the savings in fuel have practically paid for the car itself (ok, maybe that's an exaggeration but you get the point)

Cheers for the replys guys, I went ahead and bought a 1 litre arosa in imperial blue (the aggressive looking one)

I'll probably get my moneys worth from it as the MPG is half decent and I won't drive it through a hedge. (hopefully)

I paid £400 for it. Needs a new clutch though, i think. And a new exhaust as it is blowing. The EGR needs cleaning too :o

Looking to get the repairs done myself, apart from the clutch as it will probably be a ballache for somebody like me.

Enjoy! I had some good times with my 50hp!

+1.

I learned the fundamentals of car control in my 1l lupo. You have to wind it up and attack corners :lol:

Edited by Karl_Mac_