Head unit replacement with ipad/tablet

Cringe-tastic, but still, I'll tell you there's a few problems straight away. If you go for a bog standard iPad, they are 10 inches. So you've got a problem right from the word go. Double DIN is 7 inches. What most people have done when it comes to cartablets, is taken a 7 inch tablet, something like a Galaxy Tab. I guess the iPad Mini would work for this too. Your other issue is that sound from tablets is pretty poor. Most people who have made these kind of projects work, have commented the sound quality from a Galaxy Tab or iPad or whatever is really naff compared to a proper head unit.

That said, if you go for an iPad Mini, it's easier to simply make a mould out of an FP-17-00 I imagine.

If you're an Apple fan, then I really can't help you, but if you are willing to go for something Android'y, I've been eyeing up the possibility of doing a totally unique head unit that features Android Jelly Bean, plus could be upgraded very easily every few years, quite cheap as well. I've not seen another one like it, but I've not completely convinced myself it can be done yet.

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 1

All that work, all that effort, and they had everything on a plate, the iPad fit perfectly in the dash...

Yet at the end, it still looked shite!! Nice one!

Aside from that, the tutorial is useless, Lupo is Double DIN.

This is far more relevant, Double DIN, and looks a million times better:

http://www.mp3car.com/android-tablet/150916-samsung-galaxy-tab-in-a-2010-vw-golf-with-big-pictures.html

• 1 month later...

The central vent has been covered by a plastic blank, so that all the air goes to the outer vents. As said, the tablets can't quite match a proper head unit, so this is the best of both worlds. The unit was made from a spare dash console, so could be put back to standard in 30 mins. It also means that you don't need to install the tablet to have music when popping out for a pint of milk. The sat nav is better than my expensive pioneer unit and a bargain for £150. True it would have been far easier to put the tablet in the double din hole, but technically compromised and the audison one is big bucks.

Download/buy the dash communication app (£10 for android and I think £50 for apple) and buy a Bluetooth obd2 connected I think its like and ELM or something and you're good to go, dash comm is much better than torque, then you just need to sort some sort of build, but if you have a double din headunit with a mirrorlink feature or similar then you can just connect it up to that, there's a Phillips app. Headunit that is compatable with the dash comm. App, might be a better option?

The central vent has been covered by a plastic blank, so that all the air goes to the outer vents. As said, the tablets can't quite match a proper head unit, so this is the best of both worlds. The unit was made from a spare dash console, so could be put back to standard in 30 mins. It also means that you don't need to install the tablet to have music when popping out for a pint of milk. The sat nav is better than my expensive pioneer unit and a bargain for £150. True it would have been far easier to put the tablet in the double din hole, but technically compromised and the audison one is big bucks.

As I've explained before on here, if your Pioneer is using bespoke Sat Nav software (which I'm guessing it is, because it's branded) then it'll perform like a bag of ****. The best Sat Nav software is ALWAYS off the shelf. It's software that has been developed over several years, the routing algorithms (can be one of a number, Dijkstra is quite common or A* heuristic search) are hellishly optimized and far more precise than software designed in-house by head unit manufacturers. It is one of the reason I'll quite happily recommend China Nav's and China Head Unit's (featuring sat nav) because they all use WinCE which has 4 or 5 major Sat Nav applications readily available. Android is fine for this too as most Sat Nav software has now been ported, but you should watch out for Software Life Cycle worries. Although if you go for a Nexus 7, that's something you'll never need to worry about.