Help & advice on wheel sizes/suspension set up.

Karl_Mac_

Hi all, thinking of picking up two sets of wheels in differing sizes, just wanted to see if anyone thinks i'll run into problems.

I plan to lower the car on -40mm springs, the dampers are brand new and the car is an auto daily snotter, so not going to see any vigourous driving, so coilovers seem like a bit of a waste, especially as i want to retain comfort and ride (no scraping sumps or knocking!)

I plan to pick up some 928 rims and hub adaptors, and a set of G60 steels for winter.

What am i likely to be up against? Will the arches defo need rolling? Will the 928s even fit, or do i need two sets of narrower fronts? I'm not averse to stretching tyres on the 928 rims but would like something comfier for winter - what tyre sizes am I looking for?

Thanks in advance chaps.

Edited by Karl_Mac_

G60s will be fine on 195/45/15s. What's the specs of the 928s?

G60s will be fine on 195/45/15s. What's the specs of the 928s?

Thanks Koop.

Early 928s were 7x16 all round, later ones were 8 x 16 on the rear. Offset is quoted at 65mm, but i've seen it listed as 52mm on some ads. Think the PCD is 5x130, but I know FK do adaptors this isn't critical.

-40mm is not that low at all and probably what should have been factory height; therefore I think the 928s will not look good as ther will be arch gap.

16s will help fill it though ;) I'm probably about 40 mm down now with 195/45/16s & they're scrubbing on the rear a bit, I'd go for a 35 profile or a slimmer tread for a bit of stretch.

Hmm point. 195/40/16s are about 3 mm over, could work. Best bet's to lower it first & you can test fit & get measuring so you can work out what tyres you need.

Thanks chaps. Certainly nothing there that puts me off.

Keep telling myself I wont spend money on it, but pretty sure i'll end up buying coilovers. Are the cheaper ones just a bit firmer?

For the sort of drop you're going for they won't be too much worse. Partly the stiffness but also things like the rebound will make a difference when compared to higher end kits. I would go with coilovers so that you will have matched shocks and springs in terms of the spring rate, and also you will be able to adjust them perfectly to get the form/function part perfect. I would also say they're easier to install.

Hope this helps!

Only if one goes for oversized tyres.

195/35/16 are 1/2" smaller in dia. than the standard 185\55\14, so the arch gap would be more.

I've seen a pic in another thread of your car on -45 Avo springs, were the alloys 14" RAs? Because the ride height looked fine. If I keep the rolling radius near this with 15s I'd be pretty happy with that.

Plans for 928s might have to wait until I fully understand how the spacer/adaptor/longer bolts thing works. Would also like to see if I can track down a set of 928 winters as I think they'll really suit the car.

Thanks for note on coilovers. Something to think about!

Edited by Karl_Mac_

I had BBS RJs 14x6". They were in those pic's fitted with 185\60 tyres from the Mk1 Cab which wore the wheels previously.

195/45/15 would see a .4" reduction in the radius and 195/50/15 a .1"

Seen this on the Bay and I really like the look of them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-genuine-BBS-alloy-wheels-CUSTOM-4x100mm-15x6-TYRES-vw-golf-polo-vauxhall-/281075979274

4x100mm, et45, cb 57.1, they should go straight on shouldn't they?

Tyres are a bit strange. 2 x 185/60 + 2 x 175/65. Tried to make sense of the stretched tyre sticky but i was struggling. Is it 175/60 i need for a bit of stretch?

Seen this on the Bay and I really like the look of them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-genuine-BBS-alloy-wheels-CUSTOM-4x100mm-15x6-TYRES-vw-golf-polo-vauxhall-/281075979274

4x100mm, et45, cb 57.1, they should go straight on shouldn't they?

Tyres are a bit strange. 2 x 185/60 + 2 x 175/65. Tried to make sense of the stretched tyre sticky but i was struggling. Is it 175/60 i need for a bit of stretch?

straight fit but iwth the et 45 you will prob wanna space them out or they will look hidden and put some 165/50 on them :) 16s look good on lupos imo but you cant have arch gap at all because just looks stuuuuupid with 16s IMO

They're tasty. The smaller tyres will be for the front to give you more room under the front arches for the wheels to turn, it's what I did with me stickered rims.

They're tasty. The smaller tyres will be for the front to give you more room under the front arches for the wheels to turn, it's what I did with me stickered rims.

Makes sense I suppose.

Would there be massive scrubbage if I left those tyres on for a bit? Suspension would be a priority as those tyres have a little life in them.

Standard bolts should be fine shouldn't they? I'm guessing if I spaced the back I'd need some longer bolts?

If you currently have steels on, you may need longer bolts.

Longer bolts for spacers will depend on if the spacers are "bolt on" or "bolt through".

Usually 15mm and over are bolt on.

Tip, if you have rear drum brakes and put longer bolts on for the alloys, make sure you keep a set of the shorter bolts with your space saver as the longer ones will foul inside the rear drums.

If you currently have steels on, you may need longer bolts.

Longer bolts for spacers will depend on if the spacers are "bolt on" or "bolt through".

Usually 15mm and over are bolt on.

Tip, if you have rear drum brakes and put longer bolts on for the alloys, make sure you keep a set of the shorter bolts with your space saver as the longer ones will foul inside the rear drums.

Aaaaaargh it never ends! :lol:

So if I take off my 13" steels and put these straight on i'll need to get longer bolts?

I might just take them to my tame tyre fitter and ask him to make them fit and balance them.

If you take a standard bolt out and put it through the hole of the BBS, the amount sticking out the "back" should be at least equal to the dia. of the threaded part of the bolt. (that's a ready reckoner)

You also need to think about the bolt seat: radius or cone. OE VW wheels use radius.

Those BBS like like G60 BBS, (not sure though) so the seat should be radius

Aaaaaargh it never ends! :lol:

So if I take off my 13" steels and put these straight on i'll need to get longer bolts?

I might just take them to my tame tyre fitter and ask him to make them fit and balance them.

No no, you asked if you'd need longer bolts if you got spacers, to which the answer was yes.

No no, you asked if you'd need longer bolts if you got spacers, to which the answer was yes.

Thanks Koop!

Normally I just pay to have stuff like this done, but as the Lupo was supposed to be a budget hack I'm determined to learn things like this and do them myself.

Just to note, I needed longer bolts when I went from steels on my Arosa to RJs.

So you do need to measure.

Koop; stop bothering the big boys and get back to your sticker books and GI Joe collection.

Ok :(

I've nearly finished my justin bieber sticker book, have you got any more swaps Ray?