Back to small...

dubpilot

Ok, after hanging around in clubpolo for quite a few years, I have decided to sell the MK5 in exchange for a more appropriate family wagon. Still keeping it from within the VAG stables, I enforced the law and we acquired a Touran. Fast forward a few years (8 since the Polo), the wife passed her driving test so I have now found a perfect excuse to stretch the family budget and acquire a 2nd car. Now when I say budget, its more like a few pennies under the sofa.

I did consider getting my old car back but then I have always wanted a Lupo as well. It was a neck and neck, an epic battle in my mind. So the choice has been made and in exchange for 500 notes, here she is... a 99 1.4 16v S!

IMAG1287_zpsf48621ac.jpg

I was prepared to expect the unexpected with the price but so far, all I have uncovered is:

1. Temperamental windows which work when they decide they want to work.

2. Faulty temperature gauge.

3. Broken door straps.

4. Slightly leaking oil sump (worn gasket).

5. Faulty wing mirror adjusters (not working at all!).

6. Doorcards hanging by a thread (missing clips).

7. Annoying rattle inside passenger headrest!!!

8. Original wiper blades have never been changed from new.

9. Gear gaiter completely worn and torn.

On the plus side:

1. It has been fitted with coilovers as standard, albeit Im not sure which make.

2. Camber and tracking recently done to perfection.

3. 12 month MOT with no advisories.

4. Smoked headlights.

5. German metal pressed plates (I know, illegal they still look better).

6. Stubby mirrors on both sides.

7. Interior in great condition.

Things that I have fixed so far.

1. Bought a napa leather gear gaiter on the bay.

2. Changed the gear knob (kept the old one from my Polo).

3. Full service.

4. Changed wiper blades all around (retro-fit aeros).

5. White LED interior light as I hate the yellow OEM item, did this on all the bulbs in the Touran as well.

6. Trying to fix the faulty temperature gauge at the moment. Already replaced the coolant temp sensor but still no joy! Any suggestions?

Theres nothing much that will change after this, just gonna try and sort out the things that need fixing as she is purely a daily driver. There are a lot of age related marks all around the car so she is no show-car for sure. Will just try to do a bit of cleaning here and there.

In summary, really happy Ive gone with the Lupo. Feels like my old MK5 anyway only a lot nippier with the 16v engine on board. Plus it handles like a dream! Corners like a go-kart and steering is light.

Edited by dubpilot

Welcome :) you'll find most help threads for your issues, just try having a search, if not then someone should pop up! Good luck with your new Lupo!

• 1 year later...

Update: The little lupo turned out to have a dodgy MOT as it failed on various major components. Report came back as beyond economical repair. So on she went on her next life as a banger racer (SOLD!).

Now I loved how it drove so much I got another similar motor. Will post pics when available.

IMG_20141107_183457_zps79e13db3.jpg

Well, here she is... "deedee" the 2002 Arosa Sport. Deedee has spent her life as a Daily Driver, with more miles on her than any other car on this site (probably). But all her previous owners have looked after her and she still drives like half her age. She will remain as a daily and will put on some more mileage with her new owner.

Just like the loop, no major changes planned. Just a general tidy up and sorting of non-functioning parts.

Edited by dubpilot

So after a visit to the local Eurocarparts, I think I've finally fixed my intermittent EPC light issue, then some small boxes arrived in the post. Then this happened...

IMG_20141121_082743_zps4a8e9316.jpg

I've been wanting to do a switch upgrade so I can run my fogs as DRLs. Pleased with how they came out.

IMG_20141121_082101_zpsbacfcc77.jpg

Edited by dubpilot

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...