Cruise Control on an SDI

Skezza

So we know that cruise control works on a TDi, and we know it doesn't work on a 1.0 or 1.4S, however nowhere on this site does it say whether it would work on an SDi. I google'd it and found very conflicting results. Apparently Polo SDi's can have it retrofitted very easily it seems (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-119687.html?s=3f0bfbf97ba7fd10e49330446ee0d82c) but I've read on other sites only PD engines support cruise control due to the ECU from this era.

My own intuition would say as the SDI is a non-PD engine, a NA with a similar ECU to the 1.4S right? Surely no cruise control?

Additionally, as it's been established that the 1.0, 1.4S And GTi doesn't support cruise control, so maybe this should be added to the 'How To', although it says TDi, the same method would work IF it was supported.

never seen cruise control on the sdi. why would you want it anyway its shite. got it on my golf and i ignore it

I'm not sure I'd have it myself, it was more just a curiosity thing. It's known that it can't be done on a 1.0 and a GTi and probably a 1.4S but I've not seen a single post about whether it is possible on an SDi.

Supposedly it's possible on a mkIV Golf 1.9 SDI, something about if it's drive by wire.

I've heard this too, and I've seen evidence that it's been done on a Polo SDI too. However not on a Lupo 1.0 and 1.4S. Dont they share the same ECU as the SDI?

1.9 TDI pd spec

cruise control and cLimate control.

Climate control as well? Nice.

So, my original question, Cruise Control in an SDI? :P

unless you want to replace it with a pd lump then i think the answer has to be no

unless you want to replace it with a pd lump then i think the answer has to be no

Oki doki.

I think it's worth knowing for future reference that's all :)

Go In to vcds and see if you can activate / switch on cruise, if you can then i would have a go wiring it in. I know the mk3 golf tdi had cruise and they wasn't a PD.

Good idea! I might hook up my VCDS in a minute. Is it the same as in the Cruise Control thread?

my MK2 has cruise control.

s' called a sticky throttle cable :rolleyes:

Haha nice.

I do intend on hooking my VCDS up tonight and I will let everyone know. I think for Cruise Control, if required, TDi is the only way.

• 9 months later...

hell of a way to get cruise control on your motor, stick a pd in it. that way it'll be a bit quicker too geoff