GTI Spoiler fitment

Trx 33

Right, i've bought a GTI spoiler off eBay but it has come with no fixings, i want to fit it properly onto my arosa, i know this will involve drilling through my bootlid.. sketchy business :P

What fixings are there because on the parts diagram:

pict1_zps7d4018c1.jpg

There seem to be some sort of spacers (part number please)? What size (and how many) bolts hold it on and what size holes get drilled for them?

Any info on this would be a massive help.

46 and 47 are the bits you need. i got mine from lupoboz for about three quid, but he isnt trading at the minute, so i guess its a trip to your local vag dealer, eyeballs out!!

Ahh, right, just because they dont have part numbers allocated to them on the list on the website so i thought they might not be available as single parts, only available if you buy the spoiler aswell

nope, you can buy them seperately from vw but drilling the holes is a bit dodgy, be careful

When I got a new spoiler fitted by VW, they told me I needed a bonding kit. I said the spoiler was bolted on and they dis-believed me and ordered it anyhow.

When I went to pick up the car, they advised me I was correct and that the £47 + VAT had been removed from the bill.

Now in hindsight, using a bonding kit, as used on other models, may be a correct VW fix to the water ingress\paint bubbling\brake light failure.

Speaking with BossJohnC at E38 I found he had had his spoiler replaced twice (I think) under warranty due to paint bubbling. Eventually they used a bonding kit and John said, at the time of speaking, the bubbling paint\failing brake light hadn't re-appeared after (IIRC) 4 years.

So using a bonding kit may be the sensible action.

As said in your PM to me, my GTI spoiler has been drilled onto my Arosa at both ends for extra support but the rest has been bonded on and i've had no problems with it. Been fitted for nearly 2 years now :)

yes ray, quite right you can use the bonding kit if you want to, it all depends on whether you waant to take it off again cos once you bond it its on to stay . personally i like them bonded. on most spoilers there is a foam gasket, but when theyve been passed around a few times it doesnt perform very well. the two fixings perform better than two pieces of masking tape while the glue dries, but you can just stick it on if you dont wish to drill your tailgate, just proceed with care. wurth make some cracking glue for this but its dear . geoff

I was thinking about getting it on solid with the bolts and then using some sort of gasketing compound or silicone sealant to protect from water intrusion. The concept of a permanent bond seems a bit.. well permanent, if maintenance to the light is needed then it would be quite a bit of hassle to do so.

i dont think you can maintain the light when iits bonded, you have to cheesewire the spoiler off to get to the nuts to release the light, io be fair though the gti models have leds which tend not to go wrong so.....

sorry i was wrong, i had a look this morning and you can release the brake light mounting screws . they are behind the black cover at the top of the tailgate behind the spoiler, my apologies i will stand in the naughty corner all day....