Best Vag under £3000

Lupo-Joe

Evening guys, I plan to sell the lupo in a few months. I hope to put together around £3000 for a new car. I want to stay VW or vag as I enjoy the community. I don't mind whether its water or air cooled really. What's your opinion?

Joe

Pretty limited if insurance and running costs are a major factor. Any of the small base cars maybe a mk2 golf,

I've always fancied a caddy myself or a type 14 but that's pushing the boat out.

Be different mk2 scirroco

Easy, a Fox.

I thought most members on ClubLupo felt the Fox was a bit of a downgrade compared to the Lupo? Felt a bit cheap inside and didn't drive as nice.

I'd be tempted to say another Lupo, perhaps a GTi or something. However if you are desperate for a new/different car, I don't think you can go far wrong with a MK2 Golf, as posted above. I absolutely love them. My old football coach used to drive a white one in mint condition, a beauty, and I was green with envy. I absolutely loved it, I desperately wanted to buy it off him however he listed it in the paper and within hours it sold and I never even got a chance to buy it.

:'( Gutted!

Edited by Skezza

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-mk-2-golf-gti-/111017135824?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item19d9230ed0

Same reg year as this but in far far better condition. This one needs some TLC. If I had the time, money, knowledge, I'd buy that today, do it up, and keep it in the garage as my little summer car.

Possibly agree with the Mk2 Golf, I had 2 and they were both superb cars. However, with even the newest of them being 20+ years old now I would maybe say not a good choice as their values are fairly strong and you want to buy something that isn't going to give you problems. If it was me, I would look for a good Mk4 GTI, the 1.8T version (assuming insurance isn't too bad) and a quick scan on autotrader would suggest that with your budget there should be plenty of choice with a good spec and sensible mileage.

To be honest joe (unbiased) look into a 1.3 mk1 golf... i had an insurance quote for around £200 and im 23...

you would get a very good example for that much money!

I am biased and for me a golf aint worth owning past a mk2 unless you get a r32 can't see that

Golfs became sluggish and heavy from the mk3 onwards

Would deffo have a mk1 gti 1st then a mk2

If you can't be swayed and are looking at mk3 and above have you thought about a....skoda? Practically a golf and more for your money vrs is a possibility

Thanks haha

Edited by loepan

get a cheap punto daily and a mk1... it makes so much sense! haha :)

I must admit, the price of Punto's is scary right now. Far cheaper than a Lupo, and most offer more features than the Lupo too.