Rattling noise near alt belt and cam cover ???

cheesey

Hi guy's wonder if anyone can shine some light on this issue for me please.

On tick over there is a slight rattling noise that seems to be coming from near the alt belt and cam cover, it's more noticeable when driving, i have noticed that the small silver tensioner pulley is either lose or on it's last leg's but have been told not to change it until it's totally nackered.

Could this be the cause of the rattling sound or possibly something else ?

Regards

Scott

Edited by cheesey

Why wait until its totally knackered before replacing it? What if it goes completely and takes something else out with it. I would take your alternator belt off and check for excessive play on all the pulleys. You could start your engine with the alternator belt off and see if the rattling noise goes away. Just don't run it for to long with the belt off or your battery will go flat and I think it turns the power steering pump as well so no power steering with the belt off.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem and it drives me crazy ! I carnt pin point exactly were it comes from but if you find a sollution to yours please tell me !