Changing the battery in a Lupo GTi....

Just changed my battery today, made a slight cock up when refitting the leads. The red positive lead has a funny yellow connector on the battery end, which has a black wire coming out. This goes to a black coloured block, which then has another black lead coming out of it which goes to another yellow block which I think is re-attached to the red positive wire.

The black wire coming out of the yellow connector block that is attached to the battery end of the positive lead has fallen out (....well, ok I might have pulled the lead the wrong way and it's pulled the wire out, but whatever.....)

What does this wire do? What happens if it is pulled out? It doesn't seem to have an effect on whether the car starts or not, it doesn't appear to have affected anything else....anyone offer any information, ie do I need to replace it completely or can i just tape the wires off and leave it?

Cheers :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Just to ressurect this thread.....I've just had my car mot'd and also had it plugged into Vag-com to see why the airbag light is on. The garage has said that they have sourced the light back to a faulty positive battery lead, apparently this innocuous little extra wire is part of the 'pyrotechnic' system on the car and the fact that it has been damaged (accidentally pulled out by me!) has put the light on. Cost to replace this wire, over £250 from Vw, you can't get the part anywhere else! Sounds plausible really, part from the fact that the light was on before I went near the battery and changed it, damaging the wire at the same time. So are they talking shite or is there any basis in what they have said? Even though I know it hasn't caused the light to come on as it wasn't damaged until I meddled, and the airbag light was on before that!

A faulty pyrotechnic system? You sure you weren't at a Whitesnake gig? That's certainly a new car related term to me.

With regards to the light, god knows. I really don't know, I have a VCDS warning about my airbags (Although the airbag light is not on). Something like "no voltage detected on B+ line" or something, I don't remember exactly. But when I read on various VW forums, apparently it can be caused by the solder on the terminals to the airbag itself corroding. I've never looked at mine, can't be bothered. Is it the same issue for yours?

Are you sure the part couldn't be fixed, even if its a bit of the old DIY'ness.

I would say chat to Lupoboz but it looks like he won't be trading anymore so I'm not sure.

Yeah my plan was to speak to a local auto electrician about reconnecting the wires into the connector block....it hasn't caused the light to come on, I know that myself as it was on prior to me changing out the battery. It strikes me as a way to get some money out of someone, also I can't believe you have to buy the WHOLE positive lead from the loom to the battery (their words)....utter madness!

As I explained before, this section of the positive battery loom is there to disconnect the battery in the event of an accident, and pretty much any car with a boot-mounted battery should have one of these fitted. It is part of the positive terminal, and retails at £151.84 inc vat. Much like most GTI parts, they are dealer only which is a pain. Its no3 on the picture below.

post-795-0-54956900-1363625662_thumb.jpg

Agreed, its very expensive for what it is, my beef really was the garage wanting to have me change it and pay them nearly £300 for a problem that isn't causing the airbag light to come on in the first place! They seemed to want the whole positive lead ripping out and replacing?

Edited by renandstimpey