Gti headlight beam issues

loopydebs

Hi all :)

My gti drivers side headlight has over the last week or so started to aim a bit high, at first it would be intermittent but now it's constant and seems to have got higher :(

It's booked in for Wednesday to be looked at I just wondered if anyone had had the same problem, and am I going to need a new headlight?

I searched and I read a topic saying they have a 'leveller' but don't know if that going wrong would cause this.

Also on a previous mot it said the offside beam was low, but not on the most recent one.

Any help always appreciated :)

There's 2 white Allen key holes if you look at the top of the head light, they are plastic the inside one I believe does up/down the outside one does left/right I think don't quote me on that. Best thing to do is park 10m away from a wall and screw it either in or out till the headlight that is too high reaches the same level as the other one. To have it done properly take it to any Mot centre and they have a lens thing to set it up

Be careful with the adjusters. There is only so much adjustment.

Do not force the allen bolt. Once you have reached it's limit it will need to be adjusted on VACOM.

There is also a leveller on the rear beam, buton lowered cars, that tends to make them too low and works the motor for self adjustment. So if that were faulty, both lights would be "out".

if only one light has gone out of adjustment could be faulty motor or linkage in the lamp, if manually adjustment doesn't get it you may have to take lamp out and fix motor, (bumper off job unfortunately) as the motors have automatic adjustment if ones gone out for no reason manual adjustment is only going to mask the fault you really need to sort problem out properly, so they correctly adjust over bumps etc

Sorry I'm late replying to this, haven't been about.

She went in for a service yesterday, and they've said it's not going from high to dipped beam properly, hence it's an intermittent problem.

They're going to see if parts are available from vw or might need a new headlight.

I doubt you can buy headlight parts separately tbh.

It's just a flap that lifts and lowers depending on wither you want dipped/main beam IIRC, bit of white grease may fix it if its just stuck.

If not and you rarely use the main beams (not including flashing the lights - the halogens do that) the just disconnect it in the down position