BMW Z4 M Coupe

Putney

Thought I would start a New Thread,

So I have managed to put 2000 miles on the Car this month. Average Fuel consumption is 25MPG - 29MPG on a tank. I have seen 32MPG on a couple of motorway journeys... That’s keeping the car at 70MPH.

This is probably on par with the S2000, again the road tax is £465 but the servicing costs are considerably more...

£234 for a Oil service and micro filter change. Needed every 15000 miles approx

Inspection 1 Service is £669 Every 2 years

Inspection 2 is £900

The gear box is a bit clunky in 1st and 2nd gear but really nice after that.. It pulls very nicely in 4th, 5th and 6th.

Fuel Tank has... 315 mile range

So my plans for the car modification wise are wheels and suspension. But I shall wait until the tyres need replacing on the standard Rims before making the plunge.

8E3F9E6E-0DAC-4CE1-AF5F-F8014CA2B560-446

6A5BFA61-54D6-4A3A-91C6-24729554F77A-594

3CBFFBD9-E110-4B67-A68A-842014A0AF35-446

Chosen a couple of designs which other M coupe members have installed and I think complement the cars unusual styling.

For the money this car is fantastic. I love the engine, it’s even better than the S2000, Rev happy and lot’s of torque with a Vtec style surge at 4500RPM. The M tech Diff works really well and the car has lots of grip. Sports mode sharpens up the throttle response which is a nice touch. The brakes are also really good…

Wheel Options

1zmp1tj_zps68d709e0.jpg

ALUFRONT-1.jpg

ALUFRONT1.jpg

ALUMAN.jpg

ALUBACK.jpgALUSIDE.jpg

Edited by Putney
  • Like 1

I would have to disagree, S2000's are nicer looking but overall I prefer BMW to Honda.

I have owned 2 S2000 and a nice car, but its an Old car now... don't forget they were made in 1999 and have changed very little over the years... Just a slight tweak here and there. I had a 2000 Reg and an 2006. Total of 80k miles worth of driving in them... Would be great if Honda had made a replacement... But it would have to be more refined and use better materials. The leather wasn't that nice and also too much cheap plastic.

Lovely characteristic car. Liking the wheels on "8M5".

The only thing I feel is, that as with the Lupo GTI, some of the interest in the coachwork is lost in the darker colours.

Lovely characteristic car. Liking the wheels on "8M5".

The only thing I feel is, that as with the Lupo GTI, some of the interest in the coachwork is lost in the darker colours.

I agree, Silver is still the best for the Lupo Gti in the metal...

I love these cars! - If I had the dough I could see myself with one quite happily!

I remember flicking through a bmw magazine a month or so ago, and there was an imola red one rolling on black bbs (I think??).

Seriously nice!

I think il have to make do with owning one on gt5.

Both good choices with the wheels pictured above though mate!

Edited by payna

I have owned 2 S2000 and a nice car, but its an Old car now... don't forget they were made in 1999 and have changed very little over the years... Just a slight tweak here and there. I had a 2000 Reg and an 2006. Total of 80k miles worth of driving in them... Would be great if Honda had made a replacement... But it would have to be more refined and use better materials. The leather wasn't that nice and also too much cheap plastic.

My dad has a 57 reg s2000 and I love it, the interior certainly isn't cheap looking and the leather is decent...not sure if those things were optional extras/chosen by original buyer or not?

I am a fan of z4's, I just think looks wise the s2000 won. Both are cars I would consider owning in the near future but atm i've my eyes on an m3....

Your z4 looks very nice btw, enjoy!

Edited by sam_vr6

My dad has a 57 reg s2000 and I love it, the interior certainly isn't cheap looking and the leather is decent...not sure if those things were optional extras/chosen by original buyer or not?

The interior of the z4 is considerably superior to the S2000 IMO, but bear in mind the launch dates of the two.

I drove an s2000 the other day and was pretty disappointed really, but I prefer the driving position to the z4, I always feel slightly bothered that I'm having to look up over the bonnet.

I drove an s2000 the other day and was pretty disappointed really, but I prefer the driving position to the z4, I always feel slightly bothered that I'm having to look up over the bonnet.

The S2000 bonnet is lower than the Z4M, I also agree its slightly annoying... It's like driving a speed boat with the bow up!

Interested to know what you thought was disappointing in the S2000.

To me the down falls were

Brakes

wind noise with roof up or even with the hardtop installed.

Fuel Consuption.

Road Tax bracket.

Roof clips are still manual.

Stereo.

Paint seemed a bit thin.

Suspension felt too hard and unrefined.

Wet driving a bit deadly.... Even with Tyres above road legal limit 2-3MM of thread the back would easily get out of shape and motorways become very dangerous if you hit standing water.

Edited by Putney

No surprise there as BMW is superior to Honda

I disagree...... I've never seen BMW engineers get 240bhp out of a normally aspirated 2.0 litre engine.... :)

Japan produces the most reliable and therefore the best engineered road cars.

The S2000 bonnet is lower than the Z4M, I also agree its slightly annoying... It's like driving a speed boat with the bow up!

Interested to know what you thought was disappointing in the S2000.

To me the down falls were

Brakes

wind noise with roof up or even with the hardtop installed.

Fuel Consuption.

Road Tax bracket.

Roof clips are still manual.

Stereo.

Paint seemed a bit thin.

Suspension felt too hard and unrefined.

Wet driving a bit deadly.... Even with Tyres above road legal limit 2-3MM of thread the back would easily get out of shape and motorways become very dangerous if you hit standing water.

Probably worded that wrong, I prefer how I sit in the s2000, the z4, as you say feels like your view of the road is totally obstructed by the bonnet of the car. With regard to the driving experience, I found the engine to be very under powered in comparison to what I was expecting, I wasn't expecting it to be a rocket, but feel a 320 wouldn't have much trouble keeping with it and the mini roadster would snort it, it felt very heavy into turns and slightly unpredictable coming out of them. Didn't notice the wind noise so much tho.

The problem with the S2000 seats are they are not very adjustable, they go back forward and that’s it.... The BMW seats in my M have adjustable everything including making the base longer the seat higher and all electric. Also the S2000 had an annoying lump into the foot well from the gearbox which used to get in the way on long drives....

I did love the S2000 gearbox and I had mastered the heal and toe in that car.. I have tried to repeat that in my new car but the brake pedal is too proud and therefore I press the brake pedal too hard trying to reach the accelerator...

The S2000 is a lot quicker than you think... 0-100 is 14.3 seconds... It pulls well past 6000rpm. I don't believe a mini roadster can achieve a sub 16 second 0-100 time.... kind of agree on the turning and exiting comment though... I had mine set up to a fast road setting and also did chassis mods, upper and lower braces on the front and a stronger lower brace on the back.. Also had a stiffer anti roll bar installed on the front for sometime.... Again the car really needed setting up by a good geo guy.. The S2000 is very sensitive to tyre pressures and wear... Felt perfect on half worn tyres up until the wear indicators unless it was a wet road..... New tyres felt vague and felt like it was under steering a bit.

I must've been driving a lemon s2000 then because there isn't a chance the one I drove would get away from a mini roadster, the only reason I know this is I tried, and I'm not shy on the throttle and agree the gearbox is awesome, but the salesman in the mini was not budging from my rear end, I know it's vtec so needs to be ragged but it just seemed to take too long to get round to a position where it'd pull. It looks a fast car and sounds fast, but I was really disappointed with it. I drive the minis day in day out and have gotten used to them now, but even the jcw powered ones are shockingly quick for what they are.

I'm sure more time spent in one and keeping it in the power band of 6500-9200rpm you would do better. Peak power is at around 8300rpm. If u were on the road it's hard to shake a car. I had a S3 up my bottom and didn't put any gap on him in my M even though there is probably 70bhp difference. BHP counts a lot once u get into the realms of 100 mph+ other wise it's very hard to spot the difference. At a track where u can consistently put 0.5 of a second out of every corner and hit an extra few mph more than a chasing car it's pretty clear where the extra 30-100 bhp shows up. On the road it's not very obvious at all.

• 1 month later...

16997CE5-69BE-4A71-94C5-05260B82C543-603

B9782E65-6356-417E-8667-9378942508BF-281

9132D212-5068-4BB9-ACCD-11F06865E724-603

Edited by Putney
  • Like 1