K&N Air Filter puzzles me!

Ethancol

Hey folks, got a Arosa 1.0L 51 plate and I'm about to get a K&N air filter for it, what confuses me however is that the options presented online (demon tweeks/ebay so far) either want me to get a rectangle air filter or one shaped like a hoop!

I have no idea which one I should go for, the Lupo equivalent is the rectangle slab, so I'm wondering if I should go for that?

Advice is much appreciated here, looking forward to posting pics up about it!

Cheers,

Ethan

http://www.awesomegti.com/parts/engine/panel-filters/pipercross-volkswagen-pp1777-64198

This is something ive been looking at investing in when my next service comes up, is better than getting a cone filter, plus you can clean this every few thousand miles instead of replacing it :) dont expect much more power but they claim 30% ha :P so around 15bhp ;) LOOOL i dont think youd even get 3bhp :P but it might feel more responsive on the throttle and your engine will be healthier and maybe improve mpg (which is why im thinking about it)

Erm, open your bonnet and find out?? The answer is in there.

I'd rather sit on my comfy bed and ask someone here, on a forum, where questions are meant to be asked.

http://www.awesomegti.com/parts/engine/panel-filters/pipercross-volkswagen-pp1777-64198

This is something ive been looking at investing in when my next service comes up, is better than getting a cone filter, plus you can clean this every few thousand miles instead of replacing it :) dont expect much more power but they claim 30% ha :P so around 15bhp ;) LOOOL i dont think youd even get 3bhp :P but it might feel more responsive on the throttle and your engine will be healthier and maybe improve mpg (which is why im thinking about it)

Aha so it IS the rectangle one! The K&N one's seem to be cheaper that the Pipercross, so I'll probably go with their brand, but yes this solves my question,, thanks alot mate!

Cheers,

Ethan

I'd rather sit on my comfy bed and ask someone here, on a forum, where questions are meant to be asked.

Aha so it IS the rectangle one! The K&N one's seem to be cheaper that the Pipercross, so I'll probably go with their brand, but yes this solves my question,, thanks alot mate!

Cheers,

Ethan

well you could have a cone filter but on a 1.0 its a stupid idea, no power gains, you'd have to run cold air feeds etc, or if you dont its sucking in warm air which stress' out the engine more and no power gains, panel filters are much better and dont look horrible and chavy

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were disabled. Usually on a forum people try to figure it out themselves first and if they get stuck post up a thread.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

Dont forget you'll need two of those panel filters.

Depending on how you set up the cone filters they can be pretty good, in that you can enjoy a nice induction sound and not suffer with performance.

but if your asking what filters you need for the standard setup, you really wont have a clue about engineering a proper induction setup.

Yeah, especially when the people with the knowledge catch onto the fact that there are some people that join up and expect to just sit on their arse and get spoon fed everything like we're their cyber-moms.

why is this, i know the obvious answer of because theres 2 filters but why not just have one filter?

well you could have a cone filter but on a 1.0 its a stupid idea, no power gains, you'd have to run cold air feeds etc, or if you dont its sucking in warm air which stress' out the engine more and no power gains, panel filters are much better and dont look horrible and chavy

how would warm air stress out the engine more? it improves MPG over a Cold air feed which actually reduces it

how would warm air stress out the engine more? it improves MPG over a Cold air feed which actually reduces it

im most likely wrong cos im not a mechanic but i always assumed that you needed a good cold air feed into the engine as cold air contained more oxygen over warm air, and the engine needs oxygen for BANG. So having less oxygen means the engine has to work harder with every bang for the same power?

however i did go away and google this and found this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_air_intake so now i understand that warm air improves MPG. Sorry i got it wrong was just giving the best information i knew :P

always a learning curve :P

Edited by patroddy

not all cars have cold air feeds on the standard airboxes!

no worries dude, i only recently found out that cold air-feeds don't do that much!

i know mine does ;) found it in my arch when i swapped my wing :P and you can see it in the engine bay ha

but can you answer why the airbox has 2 filters?

why is this, i know the obvious answer of because theres 2 filters but why not just have one filter?

its more to do with the design of the engine then anything as the later engines have an electronic throttle and a different throttle body to the older engines so fitting the older style box wouldn't allow the bonnet the close, the twin filter design fits either side of the inlet so it sits lower in the bay.

Cold air feeds do work but only at something like 200mph :lol:

The main problem with fitting induction kits is the tube size, as the ecu only has a certain amount it can adjust the fuel mixture to compensate for the amount of air being sucked in (without having it live mapped) , so if the you've got a giant intake taking in all this air the ecu is just shitting itself trying to compensate so you end up running really lean.

So when designing your own induction kit you need to figure out a tube size that will work with the ecu but also avoid hot spots etc

This all goes out the window when your running a turbo though as that is just a case of the more air the better :lol:.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were disabled. Usually on a forum people try to figure it out themselves first and if they get stuck post up a thread.

Reverse format for me.

Depending on how you set up the cone filters they can be pretty good, in that you can enjoy a nice induction sound and not suffer with performance.

but if your asking what filters you need for the standard setup, you really wont have a clue about engineering a proper induction setup.

Each panel being roughly £30 each, so £60 actually?!

Yeah, especially when the people with the knowledge catch onto the fact that there are some people that join up and expect to just sit on their arse and get spoon fed everything like we're their cyber-moms.

you spelt 'mum' wrong.

I think you'll find mom is a perfectly acceptable word, if you're not sure then maybe you should post up a thread about it instead of checking for yourself, to keep to your format of course, would hate for you to have to break a sweat.

• Like 2

I think you'll find mom is a perfectly acceptable word, if you're not sure then maybe you should post up a thread about it instead of checking for yourself, to keep to your format of course, would hate for you to have to break a sweat.

I came here asking for simple advice from what I hoped to be a friendly forum, evidently not.

End of the day mate you've got over 2000+ posts, patrolling the mean streets of this forum

Edited by Ethancol

It is a friendly forum, but at the same time it can help you come a long way in terms of knowledge, pretty quick. When I first joined up, I posted stupid threads too, I got shot down and learnt from it. I had never opened a car bonnet before I got my lupo, and I joined here the day I got it.

In answer to your question, if your air box is anything like my standard one was (1.0 AUC engine) then you'll need two filters. You could run a cone filter, but if you're going to do it, do it properly, don't just plonk it on the throttle body. Position it at the front of the bay and run piping to it like this:

87661d09eea9fb47a663efd95aa01101.jpg

Edited by JoeA

I came here asking for simple advice from what I hoped to be a friendly forum, evidently not.

End of the day mate you've got over 2000+ posts, patrolling the mean streets of this forum

My post count isn't really that relevant, but if you want to bring them into the equation then you can ask or look for yourself and you'll find by far the majority of my posts are there to help out people that are in need, not looking out for threads where I can victimise people.

If I can help I will, any member in here will tell you that, but what annoys me is when people put in literally NO effort to find out something simple for themselves, all you'd have to do is literally open your bonnet, pull off the engine cover if it still has it on, and look. Electric issues, engine issues, sure, that can be a big concern, bodywork etc, but something that is accessible by anyone in the space of two minutes that takes little effort and even less thought, it just screams lazy to me, and I ain't willing to help lazy people. Put the effort in and you'll get more help, and has been said you'll get more out of it yourself.

I don't want you to think bad of the forum so as a disclaimer these are MY OWN THOUGHTS, we are a friendly welcoming forum, but we're not mugs, well, some of us aren't. Enjoy your stay, and your air filter.