Hit a curb :(

Nathan94

I was going down a street on Friday when I hit a patch of ice and slid into a curb at about 10mph.

The front drivers wheel is completely knackered, possibly buckled. Jacked it up to check for damage, all seems ok (but I'm no mechanic) the alignment is definitely out, but when I put the wheel back on, I noticed it won't spin freely, it'll move but not spin. Any ideas as to what I could have possibly f****d up?

If it's hit hard enough to completely knacker and buckle the wheel, i'd say you've probably bent the wishbone, probably knackered the wheel bearing and possibly bent the trackrod arm and maybe even the strut.

Change the whole side for peace of mind. Parts off the scrap Arosa will be fine. You can literally unbolt the 2 rear bolts from the wishbone, undo the track rod arm and the ARB link, undo 30mm hub nut, undo the 3x10mm's on top of the strut and the whole side will just fall off. You should be able to strip it all in under half an hour.

...provided you have the tools that is!

Sorry, that was my six month old sons contribution...

Have a word with him about his spelling and grammar please :)

• Like 1

:wave::thumbsup:

Thank for the help haha :)

Been quoted £60 for all the parts listed above from a MK1 1.0 Arosa. Including hub, wishbone, steering arm thing and disk, and then about £30 labour, so it doesn't seem too expensive, unless the steering rack is damaged, then I'm f*****d..

don't worry about your steering rack too much, vw design things so thst the track rod (the straight bit between the rack body and the track rod end) bends. it's not a difficult fix . but looking at your wishbone i would certainly check it. if you seperated the track rod end from everything else then in theory your steering should not have changed, so it might be worth a look

don't worry about your steering rack too much, vw design things so thst the track rod (the straight bit between the rack body and the track rod end) bends. it's not a difficult fix . but looking at your wishbone i would certainly check it. if you seperated the track rod end from everything else then in theory your steering should not have changed, so it might be worth a look

According to my mechanic all is ok. Went to get it tracked yesterday, if anything the car is a lot worse and now pulls to the left more so than it did the right and the steering has gone extremely heavy. Need to nip back up today or tomorrow. : :rant: