Gearbox replacement

Flip10304

I've been looking into a new gearbox, as mine maybe on its way out, I have a 03 plate Lupo GTi with a 6 speed box.

I've been looking online for reputable companies that might be able to recon mine, and it got me thinking, the box on both the lupo's and polo's are quite weak, are there any other box's that will fit my lupo with little to no modification?

If so can anyone point me in the right direction? If not can you recommend any good companies that people have had dealings with or anyone on the forums that might be able to help me out?

thank youuuu

GTI boxes are pretty indestructable i've found and cope very well with the torque of a standard or lightly modded engine. Remeber, the GTI box is different to all other VW boxes! ...in a good way!

If you get really stuck, i've got a 5 speed box you can have for £80

Mine went... and i know someone else who's went too. who else do you know joe? iv heard of a lot that go wrong.

i wouldnt bother with a recon. My mate had one by a good company and it cost him well over £500. i picked up a second hand box out of a 2005 with a rear end fire for £250 and got it fitted in exchange for the nackered box.

Is the 6 speed box a 22R? I've now been told the 5 speeds fitted to the polo GTi and the lupo GTi are prone to ****ing up but the 6 speeds are bullet proof and are very hard to come by, also that the 6 speed 22R box only went on the lupo and nothing else. Only reason I'm asking about the boxes is in relation to my 'rotationary grinding' post in VW lupo specific ... As I'm still stumped!

Is the 6 speed box a 22R? I've now been told the 5 speeds fitted to the polo GTi and the lupo GTi are prone to ****ing up but the 6 speeds are bullet proof and are very hard to come by, also that the 6 speed 22R box only went on the lupo and nothing else. Only reason I'm asking about the boxes is in relation to my 'rotationary grinding' post in VW lupo specific ... As I'm still stumped!

The 5 speed fitted to the Lupo GTI is completely different to the Polo GTI 5 speed. All boxes in the Lupo GTI are strong, all boxes in the Polo are crap.

Our company makes conversion kits from 5-gear to 6-gear. We have more than 10 years of experience with these modifications...
This solution makes it possible for experienced service workshop to carry out this modification without removing the gearbox out of the car. Our company usually performs this modification in 3-5 hours. Customers come in the mornings and leave in the afternoons with their 6-speed gearbox...
Send me gearbox code. One can find that out by 3-letter code, which is:
1) on the gearbox
2) in service manual (in row with an indication of engine power)
It can be EXB,GAX,.. etc.
I'll send you the best solution for your gearbox...

http://www.vwtuningmag.com/gearbox-conversion-kit/

Yeah? And why's that? Your dads best mate's brother work there??

Yeah... hes my sisters boyfriends cousins nephew.... dont start with us! we are pikeys

• Like 1

Our company makes conversion kits from 5-gear to 6-gear. We have more than 10 years of experience with these modifications...

This solution makes it possible for experienced service workshop to carry out this modification without removing the gearbox out of the car. Our company usually performs this modification in 3-5 hours. Customers come in the mornings and leave in the afternoons with their 6-speed gearbox...

Send me gearbox code. One can find that out by 3-letter code, which is:

1) on the gearbox

2) in service manual (in row with an indication of engine power)

It can be EXB,GAX,.. etc.

I'll send you the best solution for your gearbox...

http://www.vwtuningmag.com/gearbox-conversion-kit/

That's really really tempting me right now.