Rotationary grinding noise.

Flip10304

Hey again, always seem to turn to you guys when im having serious problems with my GTi, largely because you all seem to know what your on about. Right, enough of the buttering up ..

There is a rotationary grinding noise coming from the front right somewhere, it seems to always be there but it is far more noticeable when I put left hand down, I have taken it to a company called C and R Enterprise in Nottingham, they've had it for 2 days and I dont think they really know what the problem is, though they have taken it out and they seem to be pointing the finger at my 6 speed gearbox. To quote them 'There seems to be a lot of horrible noises coming from your gearbox'. But that is all they can tell me and charging me £60 for the privilege.

Before this all happened I changed my brake pads and discs to black diamond (running G60 conversion), is there any chance that these problems are something in relation to this as I dont remember hearing the problems with my old discs and pads on.

ALSO, before taking my car to C and R, I have a good friend that always looks after my car, he is very professional and thorough but on this occasion he couldn't find anything wrong with the car ... I love my lupo and cant stand the noise, can anyone help me as I'm at the end of me wits with it!

Thanks in advance.

Wheel bearing?

Have you jacked the corner up and made sure there are no stones trapped?

That does make C&R sound bad, but I had this on my Arosa once.

Got home: Jacked it up and span the wheel; no noise. Took it for a drive and the niose was still there.#

Took it back, jacked it up further and a stone fell out from somewhere behind the hub. All quite on the subsequent test drive.

I'm no mechanic but I'm pretty sure it isn't a wheel bearing, I could be wrong! Stone seems quite feasible though as there was a little play in the pads when they were first fitted, my friend at the garage said I may need shims to stop the rocking of the pads in the calliper. When we take the load off the car the noise disappears.

I had the clutch done about 2000 miles back because is was making a little trumping noise when I was pulling off, I was told that was the thrust release bearing so it cant be that, surely?

Taking your point about the noise only being there when loaded up then I would point to either the wheel bearing or the cv joint, give the cv joint a good look at, looking for splits in the boot and any grease coming out of the boot, grab it with your hands and feel it up as any split might be hidden from view and if you get loads of dirty horrible grease on yer hands then you've found it, if its the bearing then the noise will get worse as time goes on and become a constant drumming, the cv noise will get more of a clicking kind of noise, you could give the whole area a good going over with the jetwash incase there's something jammed in a wee space, and inspect the discs for any scouring and marking of them, all sensible wee checks which cost nowt to find out and meaby just a few quid to put right ok

best of luck stevie

• Like 1

failing that, infront of the disk brake there is a stone guard, not doubt this will be a bit rusty and could have been bent slightly when fitting the new disks/pads, this makes a more of a squeeking/grinding sound, but would usually be constant as opposed to when you turn.

check on the driveshaft for any rubbing around the chassis leg though id say

We are taking the black diamond pads out, skimming the old pads down and putting them back in to see if that makes a blind bit of difference but I'm not holding my breath. Will also take the jet wash to it (underneath) but I've always even wary of doing something like that ... It also can't be the wheel bearing I know what a horrible noise that makes and this rotationary grind doesn't resemble that in anyway! Hopefully can sort it sooner rather than later :(

I have the same thing only happens right hand down, assumed it's the drive shaft tbh.

I had exactly this on my GTI...

I thought it was the box that had gone, but just turned out to be a wheel bearing. Especially as it only happens when you turn left, as you are loading the right bearing.

With modern roller bearings you often don't feel any play in the bearings, even when they are shot, which makes them hard to diagnose. They're only about £20.

Also, check your tyres. Poor, perished, out of shape tyres cause wheel bearing noises.

It's gone back into my mates garage for a second look, hopefully might be able to shed some light, he's still assuring me it's no wheel bearing ... but we will see, as soon as I know something I'll update ya. And definitely nothing wrong with my eagle F1's ;) I'm thinking it may have something to do with the metal flimsy bit round the disc, fingers crossed!

The noise can be heard on the outside of the car, the garage have made sure there is lots of clearance to the backing disc, changed discs and pads, checked the driveshafts and its still doing it!!

Have you had it plugged in? Long shot but a dodgy abs sensor can cause a crunching sound which can be heard in and outside the car, it is a rather particular kinda noise tho.

Or a slight indifference in the tyre catching the arch liner?

I don't understand how it can be so hard to find it, it must be something really obvious. Especially if it doesn't do it when it's jacked up, as this means it's down to something roational that changes geometry when it's lifted. I.e. wheel & shaft.

Jump on the M1, drive to mine and i'll find it for you free of charge!!

Haha tell ya what if I have no joy after this round at the garage I'll take ya up on that cooper. Ive gotta feeling it'll be summet daft but til it's found it's so frustrating!!

End of day two, still no ideas and he's left no stone unturned, checked everything. It HAS to be something stupid that we're overlooking I just don't know what, cured some other little problems I've had though so it's not all at a loss :) everything you guys have been saying I've passed on to him and he's looked but so far nothing has come up. Though he is optimistic!

Well, after 3 days we've found the problem ... The tire wall on the front right hand corner had perished on the inside and that was causing the grinding when the load shifted to that side. Hah, of all the things!

Thank you all very much for your input :)