GTI juddering and flat when accelerating

my brothers gti occasionally seems to be really flat when accelerating, it was a little like this when he first got it and had a stupid cheap aftermarket air filter on so we changed that and it seemed to be cured. just recently it seems to have come back and brought the engine management light with it, we had the codes read and the only thing that came up was the coolant temp sensor, changed that and the light was gone and driving fine on a long trip a week or so ago. today was the first day of use since and when it started and was revved a little while sat still it was really flat and very slow to go up the rev range until it got to about 2.5k revs, took it for a drive and when accelerating it would judder and feel really flat for a second or two then get the power back and then bring the light on which used to come on then go straight back off but today it decided to stay on, and it kept juddering a feeling flat for a while on and off under load almost like it was in the wrong gear. after the car had been running for a while and everything was warm it seemed fine but the light has stayed on? when we got home we popped the leads off the coil and it seemed that two of the connections on the coil (4th and 2nd i think) were corroded a green colour, could this be the cause and if so is there any way of cleaning the connections on the coil up and not replacing it and what should we replace to stop it coming back again? plugs? leads?

cheers for the help

You need new leads and a coil pack really, I'd change the plugs too to be on the safe side, as for cleaning the contacts, you could try, but the contamination could've spread further than where you reach more than likely, so if it sorts it for a few days you're just putting off the inevitable.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey i took my lupo in for the timing belt and when i got it back it was juddering while driving and idleing just had it back from a full service with leads and coil pack and it was driving lovely, turned it off and got back in again and the judder is back! Anyone got any ideas as i've changed what has been suggested?

Thanks