1.4 04' rear brakes

Hello,

Started to change the back shoes on my 04' lupo today, got to the large star nut holding the drum assemby/bearings together etc, neither of them move, do they just undo anti-clockwise like all other nuts? Thought I best ask for assistance before I destroy something:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta,

Paul

You don't need to remove that star nut to change the brake shoes. I'm sure the brake drum is only held on with one screw. Undo that (you might need an impact screwdriver if it's never been off before). A lip will have built up inside the drum but a gentle hammer tap side to side should push the shows back in a tiny bit and let it it slide off.

How many miles have you done? The brake shoes seem to last until 100k miles easily.

Rear drums grinding doesn't usually indicate worn shoes, they get a layer of crap on inside when cold or not been used for a while. Pull hand break up till you can feel just grabbing and drive a bit and should clear them.